PDA

View Full Version : .204 Ruger to 6.5 Saum

AKSavage
01-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Hi folks,

I own several Savages that I switch barrels on but this is my first full conversion. I have a model 12 (side bolt release) .204 Ruger that I'm converting into a 6.5 SAUM. By doing lots of reading on this site (thanks Savage brotherhood!) I have a new bolt head, baffel, etc on the way but I'm stumped on the magazine box. This is a factory tupperware stock with a blind magazine. I bedded the action and since the .204 Ruger was so accurate (darn near 1/4 MOA) I figured I'd stay with the same stock/blind magazine configuration for my new build.

Can somebody help me with a part number (and hopefully a link to purchase!) for the WSM (blind) magazine box I need?

I prefer to buy just the box (assuming it's cheaper), but if I have to buy a DBM and snap the base off them so be it.

Thanks in advance!

Hotolds442
01-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Assuming it's a center feed, you'll need the following:
Magazine Box, WSM (NFS) 105665
Follower, Short Mag (NFS) 106476

AKSavage
01-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Assuming it's a center feed, you'll need the following:
Magazine Box, WSM (NFS) 105665
Follower, Short Mag (NFS) 106476

Actually, it's not a centerfeed. Dang! I just got home and checked it. It has the type of magazine that attaches to the receiver, not the kind that sits in the stock...so the current mag box is staggerfeed, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

My next question is: can I convert it to centerfeed? This would be extra important since I don't want to (actually I can't, due to the different ejector on CRF actions) go to the CRF bolt head. As I understand it (and corrections are always welcome) WSM/SAUM cartridges only required the CRF bolt head for staggerfeed magazines.

So, can I make a centerfeed mag work? I'm not a gunsmith but I'm not afraid of a bit grinding and fitting on the magazine or stock.

Thanks for the help!

Hotolds442
01-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Yes, yours is a staggerfeed. The parts you need are:
Magazine Box, WSM (OFS) 104922
Follower, WSM (4lb) 105053

Stagger feed actions have been converted to centerfeed, usually with the help of a milling machine. I'd never try it with files, Dremel, etc. but knock yourself out if that's your thing.

AKSavage
01-06-2016, 12:54 PM
OK, thanks so much for your help and advice with this. I pulled out another of my Savages last night, a short action center feed, and spent some time comparing the bottoms of the actions, and holding the center-feed magazine against the stagger-feed action. You are right, it's going to take removing some metal from the action where the rear magazine tab of the stagger-feed box slots in, and then some minor stock work to get create some room under the rear action screw for the retainer clip of the centerfeed box. However, given that staggerfeed won't feed properly without going to a CRF bolt head, and a CRF bolt head won't work without the CRF ejector built into the action, I either give up on using this action entirely or go for it with the Dremel. I think I'm going to go for it.

Wish me luck! I'll try to report back on how things work out, maybe even with some pictures.

I'm sure some people are thinking "why doesn't he just use the centerfeed short action he already has?" which is a valid question. However, that one is a large shank action and I already have the 6.5 SAUM (GAP 4s) small shank barrel...

Hotolds442
01-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Think about the reasons that Savage changed the action screw spacing on the centerfeed models before you start carving on that action....

AKSavage
01-07-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm listening, and looking to learn. As I understand it, the reason for the change in screw spacing was to accommodate the new DBM release lever. Since I'm sticking with a blind magazine, this shouldn't be a problem for me, right? I understand that I'll never be able to convert to a DBM. Is there something else I'm missing?

WinnieTheBoom
01-08-2016, 09:58 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, reading comprehension issue on my part. Too early.