PDA

View Full Version : Savage Rifle build. Running into some gotchas

scottdn
06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
I am embarking on my first rifle build and I picked up a Savage 110 in 270. Serial number for this rifle starts with F0. I am looking to change this particular rifle into a 300 win mag and I am running into some issues regarding the bolt. Could someone please tell me what the best method of replacing the bolt head would be? In contacting Brownells they told me that their bolt heads are for G series serial numbers and up. I guess all Savage actions are not built the same.

Any information on what to do with this bolt issue is appreciated. Would the bolts available from Midwayusa work in my F0 serial numbered savage? I look forward to your response.

scottdn
06-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I think this thread answers my question.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,33759.0.html

tiny68
06-25-2010, 01:29 AM
I would call Lisa at Sharp Shooter Supply and ask them which one you need. I have got several from they over the years and they always sent me the one that actually match my application. Yes, it may take several tries to get through.... but well worth the wait IMHO. BTW, when you become a paid member you have access to the tech articles that describe barrel and bolt head swaps in great detail.

Luck, Tim

scottdn
06-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info.