PDA

View Full Version : Leatherwood 4-16x44 experience ?

Turbolung
01-05-2016, 02:14 AM
Has anyone used a Leatherwood scope? I spent a great deal of time comparing and chose it hoping to get a scope that will allow me to use the turrets regularly, track, and return to zero...

Hope I made the right choice because I could have gotten the lesser expensive Centerpoint 4-16x40 that I use on my Crosman Phantom air rifle. That beast ate 3 scopes before I found one that would hold up to the shock lol

darkker
01-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Yes, I used a Leatherwood hunter 3-9x for several years on a 30-06.
The scope I had was every bit a clear as my VX1 3-9.

Now that said, you didn't say what scope you are looking at. I found what I think is the same scope, on a Sportsmans guide page. IF it is the same scope, I would pass. It looks like a scope that doesn't know what it wants to be. Part BDC, part mil dot reticle, using MOA turrets, on a SFP scope; what a mess!

Personally I would never dial with a SFP scope, as the adjustments rarely match the reticle, and ONLY match the adjustment value at one magnification only(usually max). Despite what the "well known" brands would have you believe, you don't need to spend a fortune for a FFP scope with matching turrets/reticle.
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44-mil-mil-ffp-scope/p/kt-pa4-14xffp/
There is a nice review done over on TTAG website, and I reviewed it compared to a SWFA 3-15.

Best wishes for whatever you choose.

Turbolung
01-10-2016, 10:53 PM
Oh..dang I already ordered it..it is that scope..it's for target shooting so I want mil dots and not have the hassle of adjusting parralax from the front..takes too long. I'm not expecting it to perform like a 500 dollar scope and its not for competitions. I just wanted an upgrade from the center point 4-16x40 I been using. And wanted reliable turrets cuase I know il be using them since its going on a 22 mag. Man..I really appreciate ya replying. I tossed another post in desperation for feedback lol now I gotta figure out how to delete posts so I don't look like a crazy man. Sorry for all the typos..using a cell phone

darkker
01-10-2016, 11:13 PM
Your turrets adjust in Minutes, the reticle is Milrads, they are close, but don't match. If you really want target accuracy, your SOL unless you can do math on the fly; and make sure it's at the correct magnification for the adjustments.

Turbolung
01-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Well..dang..I wonder if they sell replaceable turrets so they will match..not sure it will really matter anyway since they are matched for larger bore calibers. I don't know a lot about the subject and am hear to learn..but the scopes designed for rimfire are spaced differently than regular scopes aren't they? So if that's correct I don't feel too bad cause it wouldn't matter either way being its a 22. Does that make sense? Lol

darkker
01-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Here is a general overview on scopes, to get you "up" on the understanding of things.

ANYTIME there is a BDC reticle, you are potentially cornering yourself. Those "drops" are based upon a specific bullet, at a specific velocity. Can you get that bullet? Probably. Can you match the velocity? Probably. Will that bullet ever get redesigned? Probably, and things won't match. If you ever travel and get to different atmospheric conditions, then your bullets performance changes, and may not match anymore.

A FFP(First focal plane) scope has the reticle(cross hairs) stay the same size, RELATIVE to the target. As far as you are concerned, the reticle grows and shrinks with magnification. Because it is the same size, relative to the target, the turret adjusts the same amount at any magnification.

A SFP(Second focal plane) scope has the reticle change size, RELATIVE to the target. So YOU will see it always stay the same size, this makes the adjustments only adjust the desired amount(relative to the reticle) at one magnification.

Unless you want to pack around a calculator, "mill master" wheel, slide rule, or some other ballistic app; make sure your turrets and reticle are THE SAME. If you don't want to take the time to get out of position and adjust the paralax at the objective, you REALLY don't want to have to stop and calculate the difference in reticle/turrets.

All this is based upon actually dialing a correction, if you don't dial then buy anything that makes you happy. If you do dial then get a FFP Mil/mil, OR a FFP MOA/MOA scope.
Many have a personal preference, which is fine; don't get caught-up in the fight between MOA, or Mil, it doesn't matter. If your turrets have MOA adjustments, and your reticle has MOA hashes; then you can adjust correctly at any magnification. Mil dot reticles and Mil turrets are the same. While it is somewhat rare, there are differences in Mil values. The Primary Arms scope I linked above, is a standard USMC 0.1 mil scope.
So the turrets adjust in 0.1 mil increments, with a total of 6 mils Per revolution.

Turbolung
01-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Update..got the scope..very heavy..but guess that means its durable. For the most what I expected and love the side focus feature..but its not a crisp image at 16x. If I had it to do over I would have held out and got something else. If I can figure out a way to get a refund or exchange I will definitely do so...