View Full Version : 260 Long Range Shots- With Video

Pages : 1 2 [3]

yobuck
02-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Why couldnt you just raise the door on the end of the building and lay prone in the bed of a pickup rather than build a shooting shack?

hafejd30
02-05-2016, 10:32 PM
The first two photos are of the side I was shooting towards. Last two are the back side of that garage. This is Proly irrelevant to your question but just trying to confirm angle. The back door has rowed Christmas trees planted about 30 ft from it. Laying anywhere in the back and those trees block everything.

I have been shooting from areas around the garage for about 5 years. We have a deck inside for lumber on top. I'm cleaning a part of this out and cutting a hole in the steel. Of course I'll have a windowed area or something to make it look good and keep closed off when not in use. This will give me an elevated shooting position about 10 feet high that several shooters can shoot from

hafejd30
02-05-2016, 10:36 PM
You also can't tell from the pics but my uncles house is 50 yards directly left of where I shot from. They were nice enough to put up with the shooting for this kill but Proly wouldn't like me shooting consistently from his yard.

yobuck
02-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Sounds like alot of trouble to go thru for the amount of shooting you might do.
I have friends in KS who hunt places they dont own but have permission. The land is fairly flat so
they cant lay prone due to high grass and such. So they simply stand in the pickup bed
and put sandbags on the roof or on the hood. I see those trees your referring to, but if you park
close you can shoot between them.

Stockrex
02-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Op, I like it,
Maybe you could do an indoor raised platform inside the metal garage with a port looking out the back.

hafejd30
02-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Op, I like it,
Maybe you could do an indoor raised platform inside the metal garage with a port looking out the back.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

The end of this field is an area we call buck alley. Saw several shooters while attempting my doe kill here.I want to LR hunt there during November deer season. Hunting from a pickup in mi is a no no. So that will not work. Trust me yobuck if you saw this field you'd agree that this garage setup is the ideal thing. Inside a already built structure, out of the elements. Elevated at least 10 ft with the ability to shoot 1100 long and 300 to 500 yards wide. I will be using the area as I do know for my 6 steel plates. I can drop them anywhere in that field area and engage them from this garage. Which will give me the experience for shooting and learning the ranges for hunting.

Right now because of the trees I have to move to different spots by the garage to see different distances. I shoot to 500 in on spot, 600 to 950 in another and 1000+ from another. There are 7 of us who shoot regularly in the summer time here. But we always go out with 2-3 Guys and my elevated area will conform to that amount.

Stockrex
02-06-2016, 01:37 PM
good deal,
check out hammer's post, I luv the sound deadening he has done.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?8652-Loading-Bench-Plans&p=68772&viewfull=1#post68772

barrel-nut
02-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Hafejd, you're a blessed man. That's a really cool setup.

hafejd30
02-06-2016, 05:44 PM
good deal,
check out hammer's post, I luv the sound deadening he has done.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?8652-Loading-Bench-Plans&p=68772&viewfull=1#post68772

I drooled a little bit....that's an awesome setup but unfortunately don't have the range out the door of my house to do that. I'm hoping someday to have a 300 yard range for load testing out my back door but I know it will not be that elaborate. I consider what I have available to be substantial to what is available to many others. And yes barrel Nut I am blessed to have this. And have it 5 min away, on all my families private land