PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action Tight

arekeon27
01-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just bought a Savage Model 10 FCP 20" as my first 308 rifle and I'm very happy with it. Awesome balance and shoots great.

I do have one question though. When I first bought the rifle I disassembled to clean off any factory grease. When I reassembled I noticed that the bolt takes more effort to rotate when setting the trigger. Once the trigger is primed to fire the bolt rotates with less effort. I don't recall what it was like before disassembling. Is this normal or should the first bolt rotation when setting the trigger be as smooth as any subsequent rotations after the trigger is set? If it is the latter what should I do to address the situation?

Thanks.

WinnieTheBoom
01-04-2016, 09:36 AM
100% normal.

Shoot/enjoy it.

BillPa
01-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

When I first bought the rifle I disassembled to clean off any factory grease. When I reassembled I noticed that the bolt takes more effort to rotate when setting the trigger.

Thanks.

Assuming you reassembled the bolt correctly there are three high friction areas which should be lubricated after cleaning, the rear of the locking lugs, the cocking ramp and primary extraction cam.

There are a quite a few commercial bolt greases available and as opinions go one is always better than the other. :p I use TM but even good old lithium grease will suffice. You don't want or need a big glob of anything, just enough to 'wet' those surfaces.

Just as important, include cleaning the lug abutments and recesses as part of your cleaning regiment.

Bill

J.Baker
01-04-2016, 12:22 PM
The difference is normal. When setting the trigger you're having to work against the resistance of the firing pin spring. Once it's set you're not and thus it's easier to rotate.

arekeon27
01-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Thanks! Glad to hear it's normal. I'll also trying lubricating the lugs.