PDA

View Full Version : 111 long range hunter .300 win mag problem

esdd67
01-04-2016, 01:59 AM
First post.
I usually just lurk and search for the answer that I need, but i have a real problem. New 111 LRH in .300 win mag. Shoots 16 - 18 inches right of the point of aim at 25 feet. This is a new rifle, DNZ tactical 20 moa scope mount, with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP scope. This is a fairly common configuration, the muzzle brake was removed by the dealers gunsmith to verify that the threads are indeed 9/16X28 as i also ordered a suppressor. The red locktite or what ever the substance that Savage used when the barrel was removed, and the brake re-installed with anti-seize compound. Took the rifle out today to begin the barrel break in process and could not hit a 16X16 target at 50 yards. The scope was set at 100 yards with a Sight Mark in chamber bore sight before the first shot. The second shot was taken at 25 feet with the point of aim dead center of target, complete miss. My son saw where the bullet hit the ground, we set a laser torpedo level at this point of impact and followed the laser back to the shooting position and found that this was severely right of the target. I then adjusted my point of aim to the left edge of the target and over the next four shots adjusted the scope windage to the left maximum adjustment. The last three shots were on the card board backer that we were using, the last shot was 16 inches to the right of point of aim. All of the shots were parallel in elevation. We removed the scope and re zeroed the turrets to center of adjustment and installed it on my sons ar, and we were shooting 1/4 MOA at 100 yards with a run of 8 shots through the same hole. I have no doubt that the scope is not to blame for this problem. I disassembled the rifle and with the rifle in a vise ( plastic jaw protectors ) cleaned the barrel and chamber. I used Hoppes No. 9 with a loose patch, followed by several tight patches, and then the same procedure with Sweets, allowing 10 minutes to sit between the mop and clean-up. I installed the bore sight into the chamber and used a mirror to check if the laser was centered in the muzzle of the barrel. I found that the laser was traveling up the barrel, contacting the rifling at the three o'clock position, NOT CENTERED in the bore. To verify that this was not a faulty bore sight, I repeated this procedure many times with the bore sight being rotated about 1/8th turn each time. The laser exited the muzzle contacting the rifling in exactly the same place each time. The three shots that hit the cardboard left a hole big enough to put my index finger through. The ammo is Hornady Custom 180gr Interlock SP, nothing special, and i have had excellent results with this bullet loaded in 30-06. i truly think that the chamber is not square to the bore. Looking at the muzzle end there appears to be no crown. The barrel is as if the end were turned square then finished, is this common on these rifles, or was the crowning process missed?

This rifle was purchased mostly to one-up my son at the range, living in Indiana we are restricted to slugs or a muzzle loader for deer. I originally intended on building a Remmy 700, but stumbled across this rifle and many positive reviews in the various blogs and forums. One of the articles was describing shooting accurately at a mile with this rifle, and $895 looked better than $3k to build a custom 700. Really with the scope and the mount, not counting the can i have about $2k invested so far. I expected to upgrade the barrel at some point, but not after 6 shots! The can that i ordered is a Thunderbeast that uses an adapter so that i can move it between my other rifles, also they were the only one that makes a 9/16X28 thread adapter, and was my only real choice with the stock barrel. If i replace this barrel it will be threaded with the standard 5/8 thread.

I am sorely disappointed that a new firearm that is touted to be super accurate by Savage is useless. Had i wanted to go down the custom path, I would have purchased the least expensive long action rifle that i could, had the action "blueprinted", and ordered a custom barrel and Boyd's stock, or just built the Remmy.

Have i missed something obvious, or is this an indicator of Savage's quality? This rifle is truly dangerous to shoot as only the Lord knows where the bullet is going. What is Savage's track record with problems? Can i expect this to be resolved quickly, or do i have a battle in my future? Does anyone have the name of someone at Savage that will help see that my issues are resolved?

Sorry for the Rant as my first post, but i do practice what i preach on other boards I follow, RTFFF! Read The Flippin' Forum First!

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Eric

darkker
01-04-2016, 03:35 AM
What a train wreck of a post!!

Bottom line is call Savage, they will deal with it.

pdog06
01-04-2016, 11:06 AM
What darkker said.....

Since its new call savage and they should have you send it to them(without optics).They should test what you're telling them and replace what is faulty or replace the whole rifle.

Robinhood
01-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Your process is bad. Using Chines junk to locate your POI is not a good idea. Put 2 small dots on a piece of paper with one being 1.5 inches above the other one. Set it up at 25 yards. Center the bore on the bottom dot by removing the bolt and looking down the bore of the rifle. Bag your rifle in securely. Keep checking to make you sure the rifle has not moved while you dial the scope cross hairs in to be on the dot 1.5 inches above the bottom dot. Take a shot while aiming at the top dot to see if you are close to impacting near the bottom dot. Adjust scope until you are hitting within an inch of the bottom dot. It will take 16 clicks to move 1 inch with a .25 moa knob at this distance. Now move to 100 yards take a shot. Now with your rifle held securely in place aim it at the hole where your first shot impacted the target. Without moving the rifle start adjusting the turrets to bring the point of aim to the bulls eye. Fine tune if required. Done deal.

Edited

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=easiest+way+to+dial+your+scope+in&view=de tail&&mid=1D75BE208093A82FB8D91D75BE208093A82FB8D9

Hotolds442
01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Your process is bad. Using Chines junk to locate your POI is not a good idea. Put 2 small dots on a piece of paper with one being 1.5 inches above the other one. Set it up at 25 yards. Center the bore on the bottom dot by removing the bolt and looking down the bore of the rifle. Bag your rifle in securely. Keep checking to make you sure the rifle has not moved while you dial the scope cross hairs in to be on the dot 1.5 inches above the bottom dot. Take a shot while aiming at the top dot to see if you are close to impacting near the bottom dot. Adjust scope until you are hitting within an inch of the bottom dot. It will take 16 clicks to move 1 inch with a .25 moa knob at this distance. Now move to 100 yards take a shot. Now with your rifle held securely in place aim it at the hole where your first shot impacted the target. Without moving the rifle start adjusting the turrets to bring the point of aim to the bulls eye. Fine tune if required. Done deal
Fixed it for ya.

Robinhood
01-04-2016, 01:04 PM
LOL I was trying to pay off my house when I was typing. Thanks. I'm going to go back and edit.

Hotolds442
01-04-2016, 01:23 PM
You can pay mine off too now that you don't have a house payment:)

GaCop
01-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Great feeling paying one off, isn't it! Paid mine off in 04 in anticipation of retirement a few years later. Now I'm bored and going back to work for mad money to build Savages!

Robinhood
01-04-2016, 07:41 PM
I was only paying about 400 in principle a month but the taxes and insurance carried the other 600. 442 If I had that money I would move next door to you. Gotta love the Skykomish, Yakima Skagit and all of those other valleys in your neck of the woods.

Hotolds442
01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
I was only paying about 400 in principle a month but the taxes and insurance carried the other 600. 442 If I had that money I would move next door to you. Gotta love the Skykomish, Yakima Skagit and all of those other valleys in your neck of the woods.
Im a lot farther south, on top of the Columbia River Gorge overlooking Portland, still beautiful country though.

Robinhood
01-04-2016, 08:16 PM
I hope you know how fortunate you are.

esdd67
01-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Tried sighting through the bore with the bolt out, that was the next shot having missed the point of aim. The last shot was with the scope windage turret at the full left stop, and hit 16 inches right of the point of aim. I called Savage today, the person is spoke with took the serial number, typing could be heard in the background, then she stated "oh, you have one of those. We need to get the gun back here. Where do I send the ups pick-up ticket?" I could not get any other comment other than we need the gun back. To me this sounds like a problem that they know about.

I will post here if I find anything further. I doubt that other than receiving a functioning rifle back I will never know exactly what was wrong.

Hotolds442
01-05-2016, 01:13 AM
Yup, you will always be remembered as the guy that bought "one of those". lol

Sorry, it's not really funny when it happens to you. But Savage will make it right. And the trip by big brown truck just gives you time to stock up on ammo.

bdz65
01-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Funny, I have a nearly identical problem with a model 11 308, I just got for Christmas.

esdd67
03-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Recieved the rifle last week. New barrel, new reciever, new bolt. Shoots 3/4" groups attached 100 yds. They also did a trigger job, the trigger releases at .82 lbs. This is a little light , I called savage and talked to a gunsmith "jake", he claims that this is safe with the accutrigger. I can not say anything other than how pleased I am with how the rifle now shoots, and knowing that it should improve as the barrel breaks in. I just wish that it had shot this way out of the box

LongRange
03-17-2016, 07:41 PM
If you search around a little you will find ppl having the same issues with remmys as well...I hate seeing someone get ANY brand of rifle like this but what matters in the end is how the manufacturer steps up...now you know that even if you do get a bad savage you will be taken care of.

Dennis
03-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Great feeling paying one off, isn't it! Paid mine off in 04 in anticipation of retirement a few years later. Now I'm bored and going back to work for mad money to build Savages!

I know the feeling.

Back to the OP.

I had two actions (the R brand) and experience the same thing with NightForce's BR model. The scope rail mounting holes were not drilled correctly. I had them filled and re-drilled which took care of my problems. Some wanted me to change scopes, the ones with the plastic wind age inserts, NO way.

If that's the case, Savage will make it good. During the interim, I shimmed the scope mount at the rail, only the thickness of a coke can, and it got me back on paper.

JMO and experience.

Dennis

Strutnut
03-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Most everyone I know got good ones right from the get go. Sorry you had to send yours back but it sounds like CS took care of you. I almost got the LRH but opted for the Bear Hunter instead. 3/4moa at 100 with cheap Winchester Power Points. I am going to load up some Berger 215's and also try the Hornady E-Tips in 212 this summer. Mine has a NightForce NSX 3.5 x 15. Love the set up and that brake works really well on mine. Can shoot it all day without a problem. I am also looking at removing the brake and putting a supresser on it too.

handirifle
03-18-2016, 11:40 PM
If I were you. I would set the trigger a little heavier than that. I had a Savage 12 in 223 that came from the factory. Single shot 26" bull barrel. First live round in the chamber, close the bolt and bang! Next three did the same thing, and even when closing the bolt, safety on, it fired as soon as safety released. Adjusted it to about 1.0 lbs (Target ONLY rifle) and problem gone.

My hunting rifles all run right at 2 lbs. That is plenty light.