PDA

View Full Version : COL question

california shooter
06-24-2010, 01:39 PM
The maximum SAAMI COL for a 7mm-08 is 2.800. I recently took a winchester supreme case and full length resized it and started a 140 gr bullet into it. I then ran it into the chamber with a little force from the bolt to seat it enough to close the bolt. When extracted the col was 2.906. I have read alot of people seat their bullets 0.015 off of the lands, to do this would give me a col of 2.891. Does anyone see a problem with using this col ie pressure issues or any other problem I may run into? Thanks in advance for any input.

Smokey262
06-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Depending on how much force you used to push the round into the chamber, how small the neck was, and what specific bullet you used, you may have forced the bullet quite a ways into the lands. I suggest making a round at that length, smoke the bullet, chamber it, then see how much engagement there is before you shoot it.

california shooter
06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
thanks for the idea of smoking the bullet. after doing so i had very noticable rifling marks in the carbon even though the round chambered very easy.

flatshooter
06-24-2010, 02:40 PM
If you use Lee neck collet dies, you can slightly size the neck to accept a bullet as a gauge. The partial neck sized case will enable you to insert the bullet by hand, thus using other bullet weights. Saves you money from buying a COAL gauge.

possum1
06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
+1 on Lee collet