PDA

View Full Version : New Member Axis HB 223 Build

IndyAxis
01-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Hi folks, new to this forum, but have been reading it for a week or so now. I picked up a 223 Axis HB for my son for Christmas, a steal IMO at $199! He's left handed, but for the price I had to pick this one up. Also purchased a Burris C4 3-9x40 for it. Haven't decided if I'm going to go with the DNZ game reaper mount or the EGW and rings two piece setup. Primary function will be coyote's and target shooting.

Just ordered a Tipton Best Gun vice from Cabela's that was on sale which included a Wheeler leveling kit. Was going to purchase the Wheeler lapping kit too, but I'm going to hold off for now to see how it works out. Little concerned about the bolt hitting the eye piece on the scope and eye relief which leans me toward the rail and rings setup. Any feedback welcome!

-Jason

DrThunder88
01-04-2016, 11:59 AM
That's a good price for a vanilla Axis, let alone one of the fruity flavors!

The lowest ring I'd go with for a 40mm objective scope would probably be a medium height ring with a saddle height of 0.35-0.45 inches. I have a 33mm objective scope in low rings (0.25 inch saddle height) and the bolt handle scrapes the bell if I push it hard enough. I have my Primary Arms 4-14x44mm scope in a set of rings with a 0.40 inch saddle height, and the bolt handle clears it with no issues.

Smart money can be spent in the stock and trigger. Boyds stocks are getting more expensive, but they're still a pretty good value to the do-it-yourselfer. Rifle Basix makes my favorite aftermarket trigger for the Axis. You could also save money by tricking those elements out yourself. Rockite is the current favorite stock filler, lending much needed weight and stiffness. Either way, an adjustable cheek piece would likely be an added benefit. The trigger can also be modified for much less than an aftermarket trigger's sticker price. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9&v=gJijTbWe2wA)

And if you're really looking to make this rifle stand out, I think Fred (Sharpshooter) is offering LBRP conversion service. MrFurious has one, and it looks rather nice!