PDA

View Full Version : Should I Start Load Development At Min or Optimun (Near Max)

Pages : 1 [2]

chukarmandoo
02-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Just a WAG but have you checked for a carbon ring a 1/2" to 1-1/2" ahead of the chamber in the bore?

Bill

Bill I haven't really checked this out. The barrel is a Shilen and have not had any indications of high pressure when it was on the other action. I just cleaned it before I put it on this action and never felt any difference in the bore and there is hardly ever copper. I looked through the barrel when it was off just to see what the throat and leads looked like.
I'll check again when I pull the barrel. Thanks

When I look in the two actions at the lug engagements"?" there is a noticeable difference as far as machine work goes. The bolt head looked worse and I was able to get a different one.
Just think someone screwed this one up or by messing with it. Oh well.

Robinhood
02-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what kind of damage to the action would increase pressure?.

Twisted...Nope. Out of alignment or bent.....Nope. Stripped action screw.....Nope bent trigger hanger...Nope. Head space .......Can you close the bolt?(yes/no) ..... Nope/Hmmmm. Wrong powder or powder mixed on accident.....Yep. Powder scale issue....Yep. Brass issue or damage to the barrel........??????
See where I'm going?

earl39
02-11-2016, 12:55 AM
. Wrong powder or powder mixed on accident.....Yep. Powder scale issue....Yep. Brass issue or damage to the barrel........??????
See where I'm going?

These seem to be the most likely issues

chukarmandoo
02-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Well thanks everyone. Replied to everyone's comments but the site didn't let me post and I lost it. It was long not going to retype it.

FreqRideR
03-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Sounds like your bullet may be jamming into the lands. That will cause excessive pressure issues. Remove your extractor/ejector and see if a dummmy load will jam itself in the chamber. Your OAL may be too much for your headspacing.

chukarmandoo
03-02-2016, 07:55 PM
No FreqRideR (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?34979-FreqRideR). I think I'm on the right track now. Between the brass and a different lot# of powder things didn't go well. I now know that the powder is hotter(2.6%) and the brass was used to hard. I've started working with it again and am taking it slow and easy. New brass and lighter charges! If I make it to 2950 I'll be happy.
I have loads made up for it now. I'll take it to the range this week and see how it goes. Shot 50 rounds through it the other day with a mild load just to form the brass and things went well.
Robinhood (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?31582-Robinhood) I think you were on to something. Like I said new lot of powder and over worked brass. My loads will not be near max this time. I'll do a ladder test with moderate loads and call it good.

chukarmandoo
04-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Well I guess I need to update this thread.

To start with , thanks to all that responded to this thread.

I have been working with this rifle , on and off , for about 4 months now and the mystery , I think , has been solved.

Head space was not correct! Operator Error!

m12lrs
04-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Well after all the work on the rifle and starting over with load development I'm still having huge issues. At below max loads(3 grs. Below book max) things go bad! At 56.5 popped a primer, heavy bolt lift. Fired another round, popped a primer and blew the extractor!
Now I wondering if the action and the bolt are bad! Timing is the worst of all of the savage rifles I have. This is a used rifle built sometime after 1975 but probably not much.Thinking right now of pulling the barrel off and just cutting the action up! How would I know if it is bad? At this point I'd be afraid to sell it.
Another question is, how much clearance should there be from the front of the bolt lugs to the face of the barrel? Also, can the bolt face be cut to deep into the bolt head?

I believe I would cut my loses and junk it. Sounds like you don't have much in it. Spending a bunch of money on a gunsmith is just throwing good money after bad. You certainly don't want to get hurt.

chukarmandoo
04-17-2016, 07:54 PM
m12lrs (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?39957-m12lrs) , sorry for the confusion.

Basically I'm saying , and I'm being humble here, problem solved! Operator error!

Zen Archery
04-18-2016, 04:11 PM
I always start low and work to hot. Ladder load not group shoot.