PDA

View Full Version : Bedding a non-accustock - Model 16 LWH

Pintail45
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Howdy gents, first post. I recently picked up a 16 Lightweight Hunter (stainless) in .308 for a knock around brush gun. My only complaint is the flimsy stock. This model uses the tupperware non-accustock and I get quite a bit of flex in the fore end/barrel channel. Weight is a factor so i'd like to use a lightweight bedding compound if there is such as thing. Any input or advice?

big honkin jeep
01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Welcome,
I'd be glad to give you my .02 on the standard synthetic stocks.
A lot of guys seem to complain about the "flimsy" non accustocks. I have had a bunch of them and they never seem to contact the stock under real world hunting or shooting conditions like propped up on a rock with a backpack or propped on a tree or shooting rail, Just when someone takes their hand and pushes the stock and barrel together and that alone seems to get between some guys ears. The closest thing I have that might do it would be a 110FP with a heavy barrel with very narrow clearance and I'd only be worried about it with a bipod. That or maybe a heavy barreled 12 FV.
I really don't think you're going to have a problem with a lightweight hunter as I've never had any problem with sporter or medium contour barrels.
Go try a couple of brands of ammo and see how she shoots. That should tell the story and I think you'll like how it ends :)

gbflyer
01-02-2016, 09:26 PM
I've been working on one myself. Used fiberglass resin mixed with a good healthy three-fingered pinch of fiber (cat hair) we use in concrete to fill the forearm. Scratched it up good first and cleaned with alcohol. Used Pro Bed 2000 to bed the action. Everything seems to have stuck, haven't fired it yet to see for sure. These are materials I had on hand so I figured "why not?"

Been reading here about some folks use Rockite to fill the forearm with good success.

If this doesn't work out I'm going to throw it away and buy a McMillan. Any flexibly issues will then be solved.

GaCop
01-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Some other good bedding compound are Marinetex and Devcon Steel Putty. I tend to use Devcon because the hardening time is about 12 hours.