PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake questions

Iowa Fox
01-02-2016, 02:10 AM
I need a 6mm muzzle brake for a 5/8-24 barrel. I read and reread everything on precision rifle blog several times. The APA gen2 little Bast rates at the top of the pack for what I'm looking for. Reduced recoil & ability to stay on target. Who here is running one and what do you think of it? How big of a hole over bullet diameter are they using? At 160 bucks they are one of the pricier brakes out there. Freight both ways for installation would go a long way toward the additional price of a self timing brake if they are a decent brake. Also I'm surprised they do not offer them in stainless steel. Thanks guys.

LongRange
01-02-2016, 04:15 PM
lonewolf shoots the LB and likes it...i prefer the JP enterprise recoil eliminator...the problem for you would be the the JP break is either for a 308 or a 223...their ugly but very effective as you have probable read on the PRB site.

DrThunder88
01-03-2016, 01:36 AM
I was impressed by PRB's findings on the JP Recoil Eliminator's ability to control muzzle rise. If I ever get a big bore, that would likely be my choice. My .300 Win Mag has done pretty well in the recoil department with a cheap brake off Amazon, despite having a gratuitously large 0.4" exit aperture.

bootsmcguire
01-03-2016, 02:37 AM
While an over sized bore on a brake does let some gas by without venting through the ports, the basic design will go a long way towards making that factor less important. The rifle in my avatar was a 458WM that i built the brake for myself. It had 2 rather large side discharge ports each venting perpendicularly to the bore, and while the bullets bore through the brake was over sized for safety (since I was a bit overly cautious) at a .530" diameter for a .458" bullet, it still knocked that 458WM down to a 308 level recoil, which IMHO says a lot. I have had .308 sized brakes on 22-250's before and it knocked the recoil down a noticeable amount. Take all that FWIW.

vashooter
01-04-2016, 03:11 PM
The APA gen2 little Bast is one you install at home. No smith needed.

The Gen 1 has to be smith installed.