PDA

View Full Version : New 6.5 ocw results

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

LongRange
01-07-2016, 03:26 PM
LOL...yes it does....

just an FYI the OCWs i shot to find loads in the 2 260s im referring to...1 at .3g below the highest charge weight shot .2925 but at 500yds opened up a little more than i expected....005 deeper seating tightened it right up...and the other 260 shot mid .3s at .7g lower than the max charge i tested and a .010 deeper seating tightened that one right up as well out farther...so ill stick with the one in the black bikini!

doctnj
01-08-2016, 08:29 AM
First off lets not bring bikinis into this. I barely no what to do with the powder. I just wanted to say that I am grateful there is a place like this where discussions of this nature can take place. I might eventually come to the same conclusion with out it, but in a much longer time frame. In many instances these forums can help with turbo learning by being able to be open to differing opinions. I really hope I can get out to run this last test this weekend but its not looking real great. Extremely cold and wet. I know you guys from the north would think nothing of it but Im an older southern boy.

LongRange
01-08-2016, 09:29 AM
doc get you a shower curtain and get it done LOL!

doctnj
01-08-2016, 09:49 AM
If I can get down the hill without killing myself, I'm going. I've got it in the truck this morning. I'm taking it in to have all the screws loctighted and torqued. I set the eye relief where I want it and they go over it and get it ready to go. And bore sight it. All that for about 20 bucks.

doctnj
01-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Well today, at least for now, is out for shooting a test. It 30 degrees, not so bad by itself. Its sprinkling, not so bad by itself. But also the wind is 15 to 20. That might not effect a 100 yrd shot much, although I think 20mph would in my opinion. But deep down in the valley I shoot, if there is any wind at all it screams through there. So a 20 mile an hour wind seems to get focused and blows everything. Not to mention if you are already wet and cold. Besides I guess all I have is my panties to keep me warm lol. Im planing on tomorrow. Not quite as much wind and no rain however colder.

Trust me, I have a brand spanking new custom rifle that I can not wait to shoot but those conditions suck.

Look, im going to hijack my own thread for a moment and try to keep it short. With all the deer talk on hajefd's thread I wanted to get some opinions. I hunt on 100 acres, well 99, one acre has a house that was sold and the new owners have mutts they let run. During bow season I was at full draw on an 8 point and they ran it off right in front of me. I drew on the dog but let off. Ive been hunting this valley for 7 years and pay 7k a year to lease it. Im actually renting a cabin and get hunting rights. Ive tried to have conversation with new guy and he seems to refuse to put his dogs up. Ive asked him if he would just put them up on weekends. I have sat out there and listened to them circle the woods barking chasing off all the deer.

We did get three doe early on but we gave them to a family that needs the meat. So we finished the season with out meat.

What would you do about this?

doctnj
01-09-2016, 05:26 PM
well I put on extra panties and went out to shoot the new 260. I have some pics of the targets and a video of some semi rapid fire that corresponds to some of the groups on the target. I had loaded up two loads; the first being a middle of the pack charge weight just to foul up the barrel, get zeroed and just basically to fire form the brass. The second load was just over max load. It will be later tonight or even tomorrow before I can get the pics and such posted. But lets just say that dude shoots. Ill go into detail later and talk about the conditions which was interesting.

yobuck
01-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Well today, at least for now, is out for shooting a test. It 30 degrees, not so bad by itself. Its sprinkling, not so bad by itself. But also the wind is 15 to 20. That might not effect a 100 yrd shot much, although I think 20mph would in my opinion. But deep down in the valley I shoot, if there is any wind at all it screams through there. So a 20 mile an hour wind seems to get focused and blows everything. Not to mention if you are already wet and cold. Besides I guess all I have is my panties to keep me warm lol. Im planing on tomorrow. Not quite as much wind and no rain however colder.

Trust me, I have a brand spanking new custom rifle that I can not wait to shoot but those conditions suck.

Look, im going to hijack my own thread for a moment and try to keep it short. With all the deer talk on hajefd's thread I wanted to get some opinions. I hunt on 100 acres, well 99, one acre has a house that was sold and the new owners have mutts they let run. During bow season I was at full draw on an 8 point and they ran it off right in front of me. I drew on the dog but let off. Ive been hunting this valley for 7 years and pay 7k a year to lease it. Im actually renting a cabin and get hunting rights. Ive tried to have conversation with new guy and he seems to refuse to put his dogs up. Ive asked him if he would just put them up on weekends. I have sat out there and listened to them circle the woods barking chasing off all the deer.

We did get three doe early on but we gave them to a family that needs the meat. So we finished the season with out meat.

What would you do about this?

What are the laws regarding the free roaming of dogs in that area? Chances are he's breaking the law by letting them run.
You have a legal right to be using the property since you pay for a lease. Id be paying him one more polite visit informing him
of your intentions regarding the dogs should they run loose again while your hunting on your part of the 100 acres.
If their chasing deer, i believe you could shoot them regardless. The only other option would be to find another spot.

doctnj
01-09-2016, 07:23 PM
It's in the country so there is no leash law. The land owner was going to sue or build a fence around his entire property. The law says that if I had farm animals and they were being attacked or any one in my family felt threatened then we have the right to shoot.

yobuck
01-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Sounds like a case of the stuck-or and the stuck-ee. An you is da stuck-ee.

sixonetonoffun
01-10-2016, 01:59 AM
I would let them know you hired a trapper to deal with coyotes and feral canines.

doctnj
01-17-2016, 11:05 AM
I took the loads back out. They were split centered around the previously found high node and low node. Im just going to show the center target from each test areas because I feel that the dang rifle was a laser at these two loads. It was very accurate before and after these two loads as well so I feel pretty confident that ive found the right combinations.

On the first picture, there is a shot marked shank. I was supposed to have been shooting at an entirely different target on that shot. If you count in the center there are 5 shots clustered together. Also on the second picture, the pressure got to me and I pulled the last shot. After the first 4 shots nearly made one hole I kept saying to myself "dont mess up". Negative thinking wins out every time as you will see.

Im goint to chrony these two loads and see what the numbers say as well as run them out to distance to check if they stay good. I would have to also make a decision here as the lower powder charge although it will be slower, is it worth the barrel and brass life to use it and gain a little more bullet drop?

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/doctnj/6.5CM1.jpghttp://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/doctnj/6.5CM2.jpg

doctnj
01-17-2016, 11:15 AM
The other question I have, and this holds true for all rifles Im currently testing. Would it be accurate to say that these are NOT both in an accuracy node because the POI is shifted in the second load? Meaning the barrel is pointing down more at exit. Or could the first one actually be where the barrel is pointing up a bit and the second one shows true center of barrel movement? Or if they are so darn accurate and repeatable at those two loads, and loads before and after that it really doesnt matter that much that I could just re set the zero on the scope, load up and press on. This is still an area that is a bit confusing to me. Because this test was centered around two accurate loads, there wasnt one target that was much if at all above .5 moa. I would finish shooting that string and say, 'oh well thats my load', then I would shoot the next string and best it etc.

LongRange
01-17-2016, 11:19 AM
personally id tune the higher node but thats just me...the lower node is very nice as well and if your looking for long brass life,easy on your rifle and possibly a little more barrel life run the low node...the lower node will most likely be less sensitive to weather changes too.

LongRange
01-17-2016, 11:37 AM
if your pulling last shots id say stick with one of those loads and get some trigger time...i think your loads are good but you need some work on mounting,holds and trigger pull.
i second guess my loads all the time but what it really comes down to is im not a good enough trigger man to consistently shoot 1 hole groups.

this was yesterday with the 260AI...4 rounds in the same hole and by not pulling or mounting or breathing or 10 other possibilities this group went from about a .290 group to about .413...

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1453044349.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1453044349.jpg.html)

pick one of those loads and get some time behind your rifle and consecrate on the things your doing different every time you shoot....just like loading it has to be consistent EVERY TIME.

yobuck
01-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Both good loads, why would you have to settle on either of them?
For paper punching why cant you use the lighter one, and for hunting
or longer target sessions the heavier one? Precise zero while nice, isnt
always a dial up and kill it anyway. A sighter shot is always a good idea.

doctnj
01-17-2016, 01:30 PM
buck I think you make a good point on your last post. Well both of them of course but the last one was in the back of my mind to keep both formulas and depending on what is being called for, Ill just pull out one or the other. I plan on running them both to distance and working up a drop sheet for each.

Im still a little perplexed by the 260 but that is, at least I think so, purely lack of trigger experience. Man that one has an entirely different feel and Ive only had two outings with it. I should never have mixed it back and fourth with a different trigger. My new 6.5 being built will also have a jewel so taking both of them to the range wont be near the problem. I also plan on switching out the trigger on my lapua to the SSS trigger later this spring after I get a scope that works and get a load dialed in with the trigger Im used to, then Ill just have to get behind it and shoot my but off. When I finally get good loads for these guns Ill make a trip up to Missouri and ring some long range steel.

DanSavage
01-17-2016, 03:28 PM
I think you have a very nice laser doc! And you are able to shoot real well too. When testing loads, try to print your group off to the side of your aiming point so you are always aiming at the exact same spot. You also may need to make the orange aiming pasties a little smaller, it may help for a smaller group, but I think it's safe to say you have a couple one hole loads. Tony Boyer and other benchrest shooter's talk about finding the node that prints to the higher POI. They are supposed to be the more forgiving load.

Nice shooting!

doctnj
01-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Here's a question. During my load development, I shoot off bags. Proper or not, I think target shows it may work; I am very gentle on the rifle. What I mean by that is I don't grip it and rip it. My cheek weld is solid but light, its in my shoulder but not pushed hard, my trigger hand is just riding the grip and my thump is on the palm side. Now to my point. This kind of style mitigates muscle intervention to allow the rifle to "do its thing". Except I loose target picture almost every time even though my follow through is as good as possible given the light interaction.

So after load development. What are your techniques for maintaining sight picture and seeing your shots.......?

doctnj
01-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Here is a link to a video of my technique when NOT working on load development. I recover fairly quickly but do not see my hits. That said Im shooting at short distances i.e. <300yrds in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vHEWEKREWM

LongRange
01-18-2016, 05:21 PM
Here's a question. During my load development, I shoot off bags. Proper or not, I think target shows it may work; I am very gentle on the rifle. What I mean by that is I don't grip it and rip it. My cheek weld is solid but light, its in my shoulder but not pushed hard, my trigger hand is just riding the grip and my thump is on the palm side. Now to my point. This kind of style mitigates muscle intervention to allow the rifle to "do its thing". Except I loose target picture almost every time even though my follow through is as good as possible given the light interaction.

So after load development. What are your techniques for maintaining sight picture and seeing your shots.......?

this all depends on how your going to shoot...