PDA

View Full Version : How bad have I screwed up? First Savage purchase.

Blak92
01-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Long time shooter of smallbore 3 position and high-power service rifle. Decided to get my first bolt action high-power rifle that I could plink with and swap barrels on myself, picked up a Savage 116 as a base in 30-06. Figured I'd start there and maybe step up to 300WM on down the road.

I was all set to pick up a Mcree chassis, and while ordering I noticed their long action stock was for top bolt release??!!! Mine is a bottom release. I knew nothing of this change, or difference (why the heck to manufacturers feel compelled all the time to mess with good things?)

How screwed am I?? Did I just waist $650? I can't come up with anything definitive with google, so I'm coming here looking for help.

Digduggy
01-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Xlr is much more accommodating with options, you cannot get the element in long action, but the others you can get with top, bottom, and left or right handed.

I had made the same mistake and converted my top bolt release to a bottom. Which is also an option if you have access to machining equipment, a basic mill will do.

Blak92
01-01-2016, 01:21 PM
No access to a mill, and I would have no idea where to start around here as far as a good smith goes.

Not really interested in the XLR, doesn't seem like it would lend well to shooting with a sling. I could be wrong.

Digduggy
01-01-2016, 01:50 PM
That I'm not sure...