PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage Accutrigger Question

mtnhighlander
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
So I have a Savage Mark II TR in 22lr and I checked the trigger with my RCBS trigger gauge and it said it was at 3.5 lbs
so I took the action off the stock and dialed the spring down to give me the lowest possible trigger pull and after checking
it with the gauge again it showed 3 lbs., so am I missing something or does Savage say it should go down to 1.5lbs. what have
your experiences been when testing the trigger pull, how far down does your rifle go.

Golfbuddy45
06-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Savage MKII BSEV is so perfect out of the box I have no desire to change the trigger. I do not have a measuring device for trigger pull but when I look down the scope and center my target, I put my finger on the trigger, and I just THINK squeeze and she fires. I seriously can not feel that I have hardly moved my finger and if you look at my target spreads in my post of yesterday you can see why I don't want to mess with it.

I know this does not answer your question but I can't imagine you would need to change it unless my new BSEV just has a sweet trigger out of the box.

82boy
06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Well Savage doesn't list the trigger weights like they use to, but Savage has never offered a 1.5 lbs accu-trigger on a rim fire gun. All the rimfires have the same accu-trigger. The rim fires have always been advertised with a 3lbs to 6lbs trigger. The only rifles Savage offered the 1.5 lbs trigger was on the varminter/police line of certerfire rifles. (12VLP, 12BVSS,10FP) My experience is Savage rifle never go down to the advertised trigger pull weight.

I would have to agree with you the trigger pull on the rim fire is absolutely horrible. Some people have cut coils off of the spring to help remedy the problem, It's not a total fix, and you have to know what your doing when doing so, because if you cut it too short your screwed, because Savage will not sell springs. For liability reasons I don't recommend modifying the guns, and if you do so you do on your own.

Golfbuddy45
06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
What do you use to determine trigger pull? I would be interested in checking my MKII BSEV as I think it has a very light pull ACCUTRIGGER - either that or I have one strong trigger finger !

Dirk
06-25-2010, 12:07 PM
You use a trigger pull gage to measure trigger pull....DUH!

82boy
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes as mentioned above a trigger pull gauge is what is used. Lyman makes a nice digital version.

I would say that your accu-trigger may feel nice to someone that has no experience with lighter triggers. Most of my guns have 2oz triggers so a 2 lbs (32 oz) trigger feels like pulling a truck to me.

Golfbuddy45
06-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks 82Boy for answering the question the proper way, with an informative answer.

Could I pick your brain on what trigger or other modifications you are using that makes a 2 oz pull. I can't imagine one that light.

82boy
06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks 82Boy for answering the question the proper way, with an informative answer.

Could I pick your brain on what trigger or other modifications you are using that makes a 2 oz pull. I can't imagine one that light.

I said most of my guns have 2oz triggers, (Not all) it can not be done with an accu-trigger. The trigger in my MKII is at 8 oz. (It will go lower but the trigger trips on blot closing) The lighter 1.5 lbs varminter spring out of the 12 VLP, and 10FP will work in a MKII. You have to cut a few coils off to make it work. On top of that I stoned all the surfaces, and polished the contact areas with my dremal. The return spring on the accu trigger blade needs trimmed or it will be heavier than the trigger and has a weird feel. (Some people use a flint spring out of a bic lighter) I don't recommend any modification of the trigger, that is what I did. If you follow my example you do so at your own risk.

Golfbuddy45
06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I fully understand the liability of changing original trigger design. I will look over all the options and decide if anything to change. As I stated before I am quite pleased with the trigger action as it is but we will see. If If I get the opportunity to feel one of these real sensitive triggers I will have something to compare.

Thanks,

GB45