PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a 338 LM Savage - have some questions

geezerhood
12-31-2015, 10:16 PM
I used to post here quite a bit several years ago but my account seems to be gone, so I made a new one. I tried searching my questions below in the forum search but no combination of text I put in would allow me to search. It kept coming up empty with the suggestion that I try different text. Maybe it is some kind of block since my account is new.

For a while I was leaning towards the 338 Edge on one of my Savage RUM actions, but decided to go with the 338 LM since I already have a complete set of Redding dies with micrometer seating and neck sizing dies included and a bunch of Lapua brand brass.

The BA looks tempting with the fancy metal chassis, but I keep reading stuff about how finicky they can be, so I am leaning towards the FCP instead. I have found one of each for sale locally for great prices - Just need to pick which one. The BA is about 5 years old, so it might be one of the "less desirable" ones perhaps? What do I need to look out for with either model?

Another option would be to build one with a 300 RUM large shank action that I have just sitting here -- if those will work, or is the 338 LM action a totally different piece of metal than the 300 RUM? What problems would I run into using this action that is about 6 years old that came off an accutrigger rifle without the wedge thing.

For those of you who have added up the cost of building one with a high quality barrel like a Krieger, detachable mag bottom metal and a stock equal to or better than the one that comes with the FCP, or perhaps the BA, how close does it end up cost-wise vs just buying the FCP or the BA? I would look up the prices myself but I have no clue what to look for as far as brands / sources.

Again, for someone who has already done the work, would you mind giving me a list of where to find the following items?

Bottom Metal and Magazine for 338 LM that will work with my 300 RUM action
Stock that is equal to or better than the FCP factory stock
Stock that is equal to or better than the BA factory stock
Brake that is equal to or better in recoil reduction than the factory brake

Also feel free to chime in on your views as to which of the 3 would be how you would go - FCP, BA or Build.

Thanks in advance

clintsrv
12-31-2015, 10:40 PM
I would go with FCP. An aftermarket stock if ever wanted or needed would be readily available.

I don't think any RUM action would be a good choice for 338 LM.
I look forward to seeing more information from fellow members on this in this thread.

Hotolds442
01-01-2016, 02:21 AM
Do NOT attempt to use a RUM action for a Lapua Magnum build. The heat treatment on the Lapua Mag actions is different to alleviate bolt lug setback. Buy a Lapua Mag if you want a Lapua Mag.

hafejd30
01-01-2016, 03:27 AM
Do NOT attempt to use a RUM action for a Lapua Magnum build. The heat treatment on the Lapua Mag actions is different to alleviate bolt lug setback. Buy a Lapua Mag if you want a Lapua Mag.

^^^^this^^^^

I have the ba. Awesome gun but mine was throwing the first rounds. I'm rebarreling mine with a Shilen. If you want a good starting platform then get the fcp. Even this with a custom barrel will be in the price range of the ba. I'm a chasis guy so my ba will be set up the way I want when completed.
I bought mine used so the barrel was about 50% paid for already

If I bought new I would have the fcp

rtweb308
01-02-2016, 04:18 PM
I have a 110 FCP. I love it. The only thing I didn't like about this particular model was availability of adjustable stocks at the time. I just carved up the original stock. Bought an adjustable cheek piece insert and gave it an adjustable cheek piece. Now it's one of my favorite rifles. Shoots great when using Lapua brass and the Scenar 300gr bullet and some Retumbo powder.

rtweb308
01-02-2016, 04:20 PM
clintsrv, where did you find an after market stock? been looking for awhile now for a fully adjustable stock for my 110 FCP.

WinnieTheBoom
01-02-2016, 11:34 PM
XLR or bust. In my opinion, there is no alternative. Absolutely fantastic chassis for the money, fully modular, light, and adjustable. You'll pay for it, but it doesn't get any better than that.

OP, the 110 FCP is a great starting platform. Just make sure you shoot Lapua brass exclusively and have barrels at the ready. Good luck.

cowtownup
01-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Two of my friends have the 110 BA in 338 LM and they both hit the mile with them last weekend... One shoots 285 Amax and the other shoots a slightly larger Berger bullet and they flat shoot. Granted they are both topped with really nice NF optics but its just amazing to me how good they shoot. They eat up a lot of H-1000 powder but I don't remember them having to search real hard to find a good load... Wind doesn't beat that caliber up bad like what I'm used to.. I'm a short action guy myself. (wait a minute.. did I just say that... haha..)

Jamie
01-03-2016, 12:20 AM
If I had a RUM action there is NO WAY I would choose a 338LM. Build a 338 Edge off that RUM action. Cheaper and faster than the LM. Heck, a straight 338 RUM would be a better choice IMHO.

WinnieTheBoom
01-03-2016, 12:51 PM
RUM brass is actually harder to find than Lapua brass and/or more expensive when you do find it. Everyone says Edge Edge Edge, but when considering the negligible difference in performance between the two and the cost/availability of components (barrels, brass, etc.), the Lapua is actually a much more logical choice.

geezerhood
01-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Probably going to go for the FCP.

geezerhood
01-15-2016, 02:42 PM
I ended up getting a used 338 LM LRH. Planning to put a McRees stock on it later with an aftermarket heavy barrel, so the BA/FCP were really not worth the extra $ since I would not be using those stocks. Now I can set it up for a relatively lightweight hunting profile as delivered from the factory, or for precision prone / bench shooting with the McRees. Thanks again for the advice.

I haven't measured the action yet, but I am assuming it is the same as all the other Savage long actions and that the McRees 5.0625" spacing Long Action will fit it?

WinnieTheBoom
01-15-2016, 03:39 PM
I haven't measured the action yet, but I am assuming it is the same as all the other Savage long actions and that the McRees 5.0625" spacing Long Action will fit it?

Yes, the physical dimensions are the same across all Savage LAs. Remember to order your barrel well in advance of when you'll be wanting it. I'm going on 12 weeks waiting for mine now from Pac-Nor, right on schedule. Just something to keep in mind when the time comes.

clintsrv
01-15-2016, 06:22 PM
clintsrv, where did you find an after market stock? been looking for awhile now for a fully adjustable stock for my 110 FCP.

Any LA action stock will work with FCP.
MCM and Manners and HSP all make fully adjustable stocks.