PDA

View Full Version : savage 110 rebarrel. 270 to 7mm stw cost.

Crackerjackshot
12-31-2015, 07:11 PM
Hey guys, just been poking around and have noticed a lot of threads about rebarrel these guns. I have a left handed 270 that I've played with the thought of rebarrel to 7mm stw. What are the parts needed on this and how much total cost am I looking at? I'm new at working on guns but not at shooting them, so I'd PROBABLY let a professional do the work.
Actually, I guess throw in a new stock since mine is pretty torn up and I'm trying to make this gun really be nice again. Maybe switch to a laminate? What's the most accurate in yalls opinions?

darkker
12-31-2015, 07:53 PM
No standard answers for these questions, only choices and opinions.
Without knowing cartridge details, or having a book in front of me:

New barrel, cost varies depending upon what you want.
Bolt head - About $20
Stock - Depends on what you want. $300 McMillen, or a $100 Boyds.

"Most accurate" doesn't exist. If you think Dunlop tires are better than Bridgstone, great! But there is no universal answer.

barrel-nut
01-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Are you a hand loader? What are you hunting, and at what distances? Unless you're hunting game elk-sized or larger, at extreme distances, I'd see no benefit in switching to the STW. I'd consider the .280 Rem. if you just really are jonesing for a 7mm.
The reason I asked if you're a hand loader, is that 7STW brass is a lot harder to find, and more expensive, than .270 Win. If you don't hand load, it'll be even worse. Honestly consider what you need for your purposes.
Boyd's or Stocky's both have good laminated stocks. Restocking alone will make that .270 feel like a new gun again.

GaCop
01-04-2016, 02:27 PM
The STW may not feed well through your magazine either forcing a change in that area. Not a thing wrong with a 280 Rem when hand loaded in a good barrel at least 24" long.

strut64
01-04-2016, 03:53 PM
A 7 REM Mag will ne easier in terms of brass and will perform in your mag. Somewhat lower performance but very adequate for most applications.

sharpshooter
01-04-2016, 10:21 PM
The STW takes a longer magazine that is no longer available, not to mention it needs a larger opening in the receiver.

geargrinder
01-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Shoot it single shot and don't worry about the opening or mag length.

That would open the door to even more horsepower. 28 Nosler- 7mmRUM.