PDA

View Full Version : Action help

brianlt21
12-31-2015, 06:43 PM
I have a Stevens sf 308 and want to convert it over to Dbm and was wondering if it would be better to sell the gun or action and pickup an axis 2 with accutrigger already with Dbm and pickup a boyds stock

darkker
12-31-2015, 07:48 PM
There is no way I would ever use an Axis over the 110/10 series, but that is me.
CDI among others will sell/inlet you for the AI mag system.

brianlt21
01-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Just thinking the money I put into cdi bottom metal and shipping I could have a new axis that is done and have the accutrigger already good to go.

olddav
01-02-2016, 11:40 AM
If the cost between equipping your existing rifle with DBM or a new Axis II is a wash, you would be better served to keep your current rifle. How does it shoot?

brianlt21
01-02-2016, 11:50 AM
shoots good just a versital hunting rig thats all

olddav
01-02-2016, 12:27 PM
shoots good just a versital hunting rig thats all

Then I would put my efforts and money into it or I would just continue to shoot it as is. Maybe it's just me but buying a new gun, car, truck or house is over rated.

Robinhood
01-02-2016, 11:06 PM
I have to concur with Darkker and olddav. Shoot this until you feel you have another purpose. The DBMs are nice but they add weight. A higher quality barrel, stock with DBM and a better recoil lug can be had anytime. Leave the AXIS for someone who bought one already.

Hotolds442
01-02-2016, 11:24 PM
By the time you actually find the parts to convert your staggerfeed Stevens over to a factory DBM, you could easily save your pennies to upgrade the rifle to a CDI feed system. And I don't mean dimes, nickels, quarters, etc. The parts you'd need are extremely hard to find, unless you're not looking for them.

foxx
01-03-2016, 12:17 AM
^^^ Hotolds442 is right.

I can tell you from personal experience, that if you are looking for FACTORY versions of the stagger feed dbm, you will be more than hard pressed to find them. The parts necessary for conversion are almost completely nonexistent. I have done 4-5 of the long action stagger feed conversions, but it took a lot of scrounging and I am still looking for the necessary parts to complete the last one I hoped to do. It's been a year or more since I found the last bottom metal (dbm bottom frame) needed for the long actions. Still looking, and I am ALWAYS looking. :)

I don't know about the aftermarket versions.

SO, I guess my point is, if you do keep the SF and want DBM, go AFTERMARKET.

If you don't want to pay the cost for aftermarket options, and insist on having DBM, you almost HAVE to go with a new gun.

Personally, if I were you, I would keep what you have and save for an Axis. The 10/110 is, in my opinion, far superior to the Axis.

bootsmcguire
01-03-2016, 02:42 AM
Going with the other guys here. I am not a DBM guy and only buy them when I am parting out the extra stuff and keeping the action for a build just because its more money back on the investment, but if you just want a hunting rifle and nothing more, than the Axis or Axis II will work ok. But I'd almost never swap out a 10/110 for an Axis, maybe for 3 or 4 Axis', just to get a DBM. If you have to have it, save up and buy aftermarket.