PDA

View Full Version : Need help model 10 history

bubbatheroach
12-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Hello and happy new year to all!

im needing help with the model 10 I have came into. First it has 24" heavy barrel, no fluting. Next, it has savage tatic across bolt, I'm thinking it should be tactical but doesn't look like it was scratched off. Then, on top of the action the back is flat but front is rounded. It doesn't have accu-trigger and black syn stock. So if someone could let me know some history or any info I would be grateful. Thanks for the help

darkker
12-31-2015, 05:00 PM
That is a model 10FP.
We have several, some say "Tactic", others say "Tactical" on the bolt. IIRC, simply by the rough time frame of the bolt wording; prior to around 97-ish was the "tactic".

bubbatheroach
12-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, the next thing is I can't put the safety on when bolt is closed only when the bolt is up is that normal?

short round
12-31-2015, 05:57 PM
Should be able to put on safe/off safe with bolt closed. Most likely needs adjusted.

bubbatheroach
12-31-2015, 06:01 PM
Are you talking about the trigger? Is this an accurate rifle in 308? Just trying to see if it's going to be worth making into a long range shooter

bubbatheroach
12-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Okay, thanks next question is, are the older model 10's a good platform for a lone range rifle? If so what's a good stock and trigger?

big honkin jeep
12-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Adjust the safety and then shoot it with a couple of different loads. You'll know soon enough if it's a good shooter or not.

darkker
12-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Older or newer, I don't see a consistent difference between them; they are all the same.
A good stock and trigger are the ones that you are most comfortable with. Those should be the standard 3-screw triggers. Personally, once properly adjusted, are worlds better triggers than the accu-trigger.
The only 10FP that I kept I call Painless. Painless is dead-stock, except for a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock. Fully dressed with optics and bipod weighs just under 20#. That is the one I shoot to a mile with, have done a few posts here about it. But the bulk of it's life, I shot it bone stock. It didn't really become a *great* shooter, until I did. That took almost 2,000 rounds. Now whether or not the rifle was the hinderance, or the shooter... Considering what I can do now, with any rifle; the hold-up wasn't the rifle.