PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with varmint barreled rifle?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

DanSavage
01-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Sometimes I do wonder if there is some crazy soul that had at any time shot one of them high power lines....

I always wanted to shoot the big orange ball's that are on our power lines when I was growing up,, but luckily I never did...

foxx
01-29-2016, 08:14 PM
What's the point of those big orange balls? Aircraft? Birds?

Nandy
01-29-2016, 08:21 PM
I think aircraft....

yobuck
01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
I think aircraft....

Id say thats correct. Not all the spans across valleys have them. only the wider ones do, at least where we are.

DanSavage
01-29-2016, 09:32 PM
I think the power company trims the weeds and trees that grow in certain areas too under the power lines,, I'f never seen them doing it or how it is accomplished though.

big honkin jeep
01-30-2016, 12:24 AM
Sometimes I do wonder if there is some crazy soul that had at any time shot one of them high power lines....

I know a fella who saw a buck beside one of the large poles so he found it in the scope followed it down placed his finger on the trigger and promptly shot the large concrete pole LOL, The buck didnt run so he continued using the pole as a marker with his finger off the trigger this time and shot the buck.
I asked him if there were two on the ground and he told me what had happened. I have never let him live it down.
I also know a fish farmer that shot at a pest sitting on the wire that took electricity to his fingerling tanks that are located under a shed and pump fed. He managed to cleanly clip the wire at roughly 300 yards with a .223. He was thoroughly embarrassed and didn't know what happened to the wire by the time the linemen got there.
Bet he couldn't do it again if he wanted to. :)

yobuck
01-30-2016, 09:34 AM
I think the power company trims the weeds and trees that grow in certain areas too under the power lines,, I'f never seen them doing it or how it is accomplished though.

On the steep side hills they cant use machinery they just use chain saws. Where they can they use a long boom device with a rotating blade.
Lots of the power lines in PA are being utilized as food plots also but only where they can be maintained. We have also experienced gating
them or blocking access with boulders. Same thing is happening on most other back dirt roads also.

foxx
01-30-2016, 09:39 AM
FOOD plots, huh?

SO that's what you call 'em down there. Around here they just call 'em what they are. POT plots! :)

yobuck
01-30-2016, 10:05 AM
FOOD plots, huh?

SO that's what you call 'em down there. Around here they just call 'em what they are. POT plots! :)

Yes thats what they call them. They are also creating lots of large food plots in the effort to get the elk herd more
widly distributed. Thats also the reason their gating every thing off. Its all about the elk.

DanSavage
01-30-2016, 04:25 PM
FOOD plots, huh?

Lot's of pot in my area,, it is illegal here though. I don't care about the weed,, it's the heroin and meth that are very prevailant in the area that has me worried.

I always had a theory that if a farmer grew a couple fields of pot and mixed it into the cows diet,, they would eat much more and produce record amounts of milk,, just refine out the THC at the milk plant and use it towards medical marijuana.

DanSavage
01-30-2016, 04:30 PM
Sometimes I would like to pack my truck with all my rifle's and reloading supplies and head down to the border and control it my style.

All I lack is good night vision equipment and a good spotting scope.

foxx
01-30-2016, 04:40 PM
Lot's of pot in my area,, it is illegal here though. I don't care about the weed,, it's the heroin and meth that are very prevailant in the area that has me worried.

I always had a theory that if a farmer grew a couple fields of pot and mixed it into the cows diet,, they would eat much more and produce record amounts of milk,, just refine out the THC at the milk plant and use it towards medical marijuana.

Or leave the milk "as is"... would make great Ice Cream!

DanSavage
01-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Ahh the feds would come in and shoot yah in the back.

yobuck
01-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Sometimes I would like to pack my truck with all my rifle's and reloading supplies and head down to the border and control it my style.

All I lack is good night vision equipment and a good spotting scope.

The boarder will be controlled if and when its determined we should do it.

Nandy
02-01-2016, 05:05 PM

That is how it happens in our property, then we do a little more cleaning depending on what we have on the ground and how it would concealed deer from our shooting blinds. I have never seen it done but the club president (been in the club since it started about 28some years ago) told me they do some spraying and they use a shopper to trim some larger trees... I love to see that happening, but not while im am standing there!!! lol!

swamphonkey
03-11-2016, 10:32 PM
I have a old 10fp 308 I keep next to my back door that I like to sit on my back deck and shoot deer off my back food plot I have a 400 yard shot and I have a shooting bench set up with a nice rest I take about 4 or 5 a year like that drinking my coffee. But when I really hunt I like a short light rifle 99% of the time a little 243 savage that shoots so well I put that little pill right where it needs to be. But for anything over 300 yards I use my old FP or my 7mag custom heavy barrel. But I have killed them a fair poke with my supporters also. Its all in what you feel the most confidence in for the place you hunt. I think everyone should have a HB rifle just in case you sit a power line or have a chance to hunt wide open places. There is really something in knowing at 400+ yards you have the capabilities to put the slug threw his broiler room every time.

m12lrs
03-26-2016, 01:44 PM
I would say it totally depends on your environment and style of hunting.

A heavy barreled gun not only is good for multiple shots which most hunters don't need. They are much easier to keep steady off a rest for long shots.

Here in the south we almost exclusively hunt tree stands. Everything from condos to climbers. If you are sitting in one of those condos you drive up to on a huge agricultural field a long range heavy barreled rifle is a good choice. If you are hunting thick bottom land out of a climber then a lightweight short barreled rifle is a good choice.

Out west with shot distances limited only by your ability but with lots of hiking thrown in I would pick a long skinny barreled rifle for the weight advantage. If you are not hiking but using horses or atv's I would pick the heavy barreled rifle.

Eastern woodlands spot and stalk. I would go lightweight short barrel. Most of your shots will be close anyway.

So there are many variables here. No one gun fits them all.

snowgetter1
03-26-2016, 10:04 PM
In Afghanistan while firing the MK-19 40mm automatic grenade launcher I struck a big power line. The explosion was quite cool as the round exploded in the air. The line did not brake. We could not believe it. The line was swinging wildly back and forth though.

DanSavage
03-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Cool! Lol

SNORTHRUP1
03-30-2016, 06:55 PM
For me, I prefer a heavy barreled rifle. When shooting off hand while standing, I can hold the heavy barreled rifle steadier then a rifle with the light barrel. Something about the heavy barrel seems to help me stabilize the rifle shooting off hand.