PDA

View Full Version : Axis in .243

gunrack
12-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Axis in .243? Thinking about picking one up in the next couple of days if the feedback is good. My plan is to keep the factory barrel on it. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them in factory configuration. I see where a lot of folks buy these guns and switch the barrels right off the bat I am gonna work the stock over and probably some new glass but other than that I will keep it stock for a little while.

Thanks in advance.

pisgah
12-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Don't have a .243, but I do have a .223 and .270. Overall, the Axis is a great rifle for the money. I have found it no big trick to shoot minute-of-angle with my rifles, with a variety of loads, and I believe the only real reason to change the barrels is "because I want to". The triggers aren't great (although neither of mine was terrible), but that can be fixed with a minor amount of tinkering using a couple of methods that have been well-documented on the forum. Shooters who make heavy use of a bipod will not like the stock, and it's easy to see why -- the forend is rather flexible, and a proper bipod technique calls for putting heavy pressure on the bipod. This can cause flex, resulting in hard contact between forend and barrel and messing up accuracy. But the factory stock is, IMO, just fine for use without a bipod. My advice would be to do a bit of trigger modification if the trigger doesn't suit you as it comes to you, then put decent glass on it and go shooting. After that if something doesn't suit you, change away.

rfd12fv
12-31-2015, 10:13 AM
i've had three axis hb rifles and currently have an axis hb in .223rem as my main centerfire bolt action rifle.

to each their own, but i'll say it's hard to beat the value of any axis.

do consider the following -

get the heavy barrel model (axis hb)
this is a must - rockite the stock to stiffen both the fore end and to add butt weight (search this forum for lots of info on how to rockite a synth stock)
either do the trigger spring mod or spend another $100 for a basix trigger (i prefer the basix trigger)
put on good glass
feed it good cartridges
enjoy

220_Swift
12-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Never owned a 243Win that WASN'T accurate!

ivob
12-31-2015, 10:30 AM
What rfd12fv said have one in .223 very accurate if you do your part

deaddeerwalking
01-01-2016, 11:54 AM
I have one in .243. did the trigger & stock reinforcement. great rifle for the money. Mine loves 95 gr nosler ballistic tips with imr4350 just under 3k fps

66GTO
01-16-2016, 08:49 PM
I have one in .243. did the trigger & stock reinforcement. great rifle for the money. Mine loves 95 gr nosler ballistic tips with imr4350 just under 3k fps

That load is the ticket on my Savage .243 also. The Nosler 95 gr. ballistic tip (purple) is my favorite .243 bullet. But if you can't find or don't have any 4350 I find that Hodgdon H100V works just as well. It appears to be a Short Cut version of 4350 and the load data is almost identical.