PDA

View Full Version : Richards Vs Stocky's Laminate Stocks

kjacko99
06-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Hi All,
I'm looking for some opinions on the pros & cons of these 2 stock makers. Both have great looking stocks, so who's is the easiest to fit & delivers what they advertise? I'm looking for a thumbhole laminate for my Left handed Savage 111, with the centerfeed magazine & factory barrel.

Any advise or does/don't would be greatly appreciated.

rjtfroggy
06-23-2010, 06:48 AM
This is a no brainer, from someone who has been there done that.
Unless you have lots of time and really enjoy wood working STAY AWAY FROM RICHARDS, long wait time and it won't fit.
If Stocky's has a long action LH it will be a drop in, open box put in rifled action tighten screws go shoot.
If you want a custom made drop in then you need to do a search for makers and make a choice on what one you want, but be prepared to wait wait wait, up to 6 months or longer for one and double the price easily.
One of the sponsors here makes a very nice stock that is drop in. Look at SSS there is a wait time but they seem like they are worth it.
There are a few others, I just got mine from Joel Russo needed some fitting and finishing and it was over 5 months getting here.
Go to the picture posts and you will find all makes and styles.

pdog06
06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
agree with froggy. Get the Stocky's and save yourself alot of headaches.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Just got 2 from Richards Micro-Fit. One for me and one for my shooting buddy. Both are Bench Rest style and the rifles come in at close to 17 pounds.
Mine looked pretty good. My pardners was rough around the vents on the forearm. "Lots" of work to do in that area.
Mine had lots of heavy sand marks on the cheek area while his was pretty smooth compared to mine. His was a darker color and the marks didn't show as much as mine. As far as action fit, both looked pretty good. Didn't take much to get a good fit.
I've used Richards Micro-Fit Stocks before so I knew going in what to expect. They seem to be getting better than some of the examples I've had before. These are "not" a drop in so expect to do some work to get it ready to finish.
Good selection and price makes for a pretty good deal if you know what to expect. You pay for what you get. ;) Wait time was about 12 to 14 weeks.

savageboy
06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
My Richards looked nice but the barrel channel was cut off center from the action and just looked bad. I won't own another one.

kjacko99
06-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks Gents, your past experience & advice just made my choice a lot easier. I have looked at the Stockade thumbholes, but I am leaning toward a laminate.

While I'm waiting for the new stock to arrive, I'm going to camo the factory tupperware. I just finished my son's Mossberg 22LR & the design turned out pretty sweet.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Lodiman
06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I ordered a Richards in March and it is still not arrived.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Just dropped another order in the mail for a Richard's Microfit stock. (right hand thumbhole Bench Rest cut for a left hand action) ???
Looking for it to show up in mid to late September. Takes about 14 weeks. No use being in a hurry. ;)
And I found out why the action fit so good. They're a 99% fit. Much better than their earlier stocks.

bobcat30
06-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Have had excellent results from boyds. Just my 2cents

Eric in NC
06-24-2010, 08:53 AM
I have not had the problems folks mention with Richards (other than the long lead times - you can avoid that by calling and asking what is "in stock" and ready to ship and choosing from that - lots of items in stock!).

They are not drop in, ready to go - more like 97% ready to go. If you have access to the right tools (files, maybe a small chisel, sandpaper and sanding blocks) and basic woodworking skills, it takes about 3 hours to get one ready to apply finish (my experience). I will say that I have only used them for one Savage - the rest have been various milsurp sporters (Siamese Mauser, 1917, Swede Mauser, etc.).

Boyd's are usually drop ins - they just quit making the wide variety of stocks they used to offer and their current crop doesn't really float my boat.

kjacko99
06-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks for all the insight, much appreciated. I just finished painting a stock for my son's first gopher slayer, it turned out fairly well so I'm going to do the same design on my factory stock while I wait for the new one to arrive. If I knew how to attach a picture I would let you all have a look.

Thanks again

kjacko99
07-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Its not a Savage, but I like how the paint job turned out so I am going to finish the factory stock with the same design. What do you think?

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/kjacko99/Picture008.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/kjacko99/Picture011.jpg

bobcat30
07-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Looks Sweet how'd you get it to look like that?

GaCop
07-29-2010, 06:20 AM
I do a similar pattern using pine needles laid on the stock at varying angles.

kjacko99
08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I used Krylon camo paint from Wal-mart, I laid down a base of khaki. Then I picked up some fake long grass & sticks from a dollar store (the stuff my wife uses to fill decorative vases). With the Grass fanned out about 3 inches, I laid it over the stock at a angle & did a swipe of brown up over the ends of the grass, then I moved the grass fan down the stock, leaving caps of khaki. When I had worked to the end, I switched to the sticks & went with camo green, filling in some of the gaps, but also overlapping the brown. It was very simple & much easier than taping off different patterns (not that I have any problem with those types of camo jobs), but I wanted something simple & would work. I had some fun doing this with my son (10 yrs old) & he did one side by himself. IMHO I think it turned out well & I have started working on my factory tupperware in the same camo style.

Thanks for the feedback.