PDA

View Full Version : Can I convert my .223 model 12 Accutrigger to a Magnum Caliber?

Pages : [1] 2

giannid
12-29-2015, 11:08 PM
I've got an almost new blued gun that i don't use much anymore. I love the gun and it shoots well but I now varmint hunt with my Ar after I accurized it so the 223 doesn't do me any good. I've changed a few barrels out on different Savage rifles and I have the tools to do so. I could really use a big game magnum rifle. I was wondering what magnums I could switch this gun over to and what work and parts would be required for the swap. I know there are some short action magnum's out there but have no Ideal where to start with this. can someone point me in the right direction in doing this?

dfrosch
12-29-2015, 11:53 PM
The Winchester Short Magnums(WSM) or Super Short Magnums(WSSM) are probably where you need to look. The WSMs come in 270, 7mm, 300 and 325 calibers. The WSSMs come in 223, 243 and 25 caliber.

In addition to the barrel, you would need to change the magazine, bolt head and bolt baffle. For a while now, Savage has only chambered the WSMs in large shank barrels. But aftermarket small shank barrels are available.

Here's a link to my 270 WSM build:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?47923-Latest-build

You could also look into the Remington Short Action Ultra Magnums(RSAUM). The WSMs have eclipsed the RSAUMs, but there's a 6.5mm RSAUM wildcat that has a following. Can't say if Savage ever chambered any RSAUMs, but someone will probably chime in with this info.

Hope this helps and good luck with the build.

giannid
12-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Where can the parts be purchased for the bolt conversion? Is it complicated to do? Maybe it's easier to just buy the entire bolt?

dfrosch
12-30-2015, 01:10 AM
MidwayUSA, Numrich, Sharpshooter Supply...

... or you can pay a $15 annual membership fee here and have access to the classifieds.

It's not too complicated. Gets easier after a few times. It can be assembled wrong, but I don't think the action will accept it if assembled wrong.

Buy the entire bolt assembly for $125 to $175 or buy the head and baffle for $40 or $50. Maybe less if you find some used ones.

Look through this link:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18164-Savage-FAQ-s-amp-Gunsmithing-Article-Links

Rosco
12-30-2015, 02:53 PM
I have a magnum bolt head and long action complete bolt assembly for sale right now in the classifieds.

So become a member!! 😃

giannid
12-30-2015, 03:20 PM
I found the complete bolt from numrich which I think is the right one but doesn't include the ejector. What's the deal with the ejector and can it be installed in these bolts? I want this to be a hunting rifle so need it to feed rounds.

dfrosch
12-30-2015, 07:16 PM
I have a magnum bolt head and long action complete bolt assembly for sale right now in the classifieds.

So become a member!! ��

He needs a short action bolt/head. A PTG SA magnum bolt head just sold this week.

I found the complete bolt from numrich which I think is the right one but doesn't include the ejector. What's the deal with the ejector and can it be installed in these bolts? I want this to be a hunting rifle so need it to feed rounds.

Post a link to the complete bolt from Numrich. If it's a short action, it should work.

Don't know why it comes without an ejector, but MidwayUSA, Numrich or Sharpshooter Supply can probably supply that. Accurate Barrels sells a bolt redress kit:
http://myaccuratebarrel.com/IN-STOCK--Savage-Bolt-Ejector-Extractor-enhancement-kit_p_52.html

Look through the link on my last post. There's a "how to" article on ejectors.

giannid
12-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Here's the link I found to the bolts. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1286340.htm I'm not sure why the extractor isn't included. Midway has some savage bolts and they don't have the extractors either. Is the extractor a big deal to instal? Seems like this may be the easiest way to go as it looks like you need the bolt head, firing pin, baffle and possibly other stuff. I did some calling around today to some gun smiths and they didn't know anything about the conversion or what I needed. Jim at Nortland said he could supply me the barrel but that was all he could help me with. I emailed Apache about a barrel but haven't heard anything back. I don't think the barrel is going to be a problem. The magazine also seems like it's going to be a problem. I have a removable magazine that's all steel with a plastic bottom. I couldn't find any replacements for a 300 wsm and I'm not even sure they make them. I really want to use the magazine and keep the factory accustock. If I can't do all that I may scrap the project. If I have to replace everything I may as well just start out with a cheap action and build off that versus scraping most of my rifle. Problem is .223 rifles aren't very desirable and probably won't sell unless i give it away.

dfrosch
12-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Yeah, you should give up and give the rifle away. Need my address?

That bolt is for a long action. You need one for a model with a two digit number(10, 11, 12, 16). Here's what you need:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1354990A.htm

Does your mag look anything like the ones in this next link?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xsavage +300+wsm+magazine.TRS1&_nkw=savage+300+wsm+magazine&_sacat=0

BTW, the metal part of your mag is the exact same thing as an internal mag. Savage saves money by using the same part for internal and detachable mags. The metal part is snapped into the plastic base.

READ THROUGH THE ARTICLES IN THE LINK!
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18164-Savage-FAQ-s-amp-Gunsmithing-Article-Links

giannid
12-30-2015, 10:56 PM
My mag looks more like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-Arms-Magazine-16-12-14-270-WSM-300-WSM-2-rd-Stainless-Finish-55110-/391330555840?hash=item5b1d1e67c0:g:oKQAAOSwxN5WWQ-n
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-Arms-10GC-11GC-14-270-7MM-300-325-WSM-Black-2-Round-Magazine-55103-/351447990848?hash=item51d3eec240:g:sJMAAOSwyQtVnCZ A
I'm not sure what makes them different and why each will fit the two digit number rifles. Mine is a model 12 though. Mine doesn't use the cheaper style axis magazines. I've seen those as i had a rifle with them. Any ideal which is the right mag? So that's positively the right bolt for the gun as I'm going to order it? Looks like all the savage extractors and ejectors pieces are the same so that's not a big deal. If I know I can get the bolt and magazine for sure I will build the rifle. Just no one has been able to give me a straight answer. From my experience calling Savage, they don't like to give you information about a conversion of a small shank magnum. And dfrosch, thanks for all the help. You're giving me hope on this build.

dfrosch
12-30-2015, 11:32 PM
My 270 WSM started as a blind mag sporter. Switched to the DBM by snapping the mag box and follower onto the floor plate. It now looks like the one in your first link. Interchangeable parts are wonderful things.

Pretty sure there are only two styles. On mine, the mag release is on the rifle. The other has the release on the floor plate. But also pretty sure that the mag box and followers are the same. You could get a WSM box and Follower and snap it on your floor plate.

That's the right bolt for a blued short action. Is your rifle a model 12 FCV? http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FCV

giannid
12-31-2015, 09:53 AM
My rifle is very similar to the one you listed except mine has the accustock. The more I read on the bolt the more I get confused. What's all the talk about the push feed? I obviously want a rifle that will feed and eject. It looks like the bolt heads at pt&g start are from $70 to $95. Wondering if that bolt from Numrich is a push feed and will work with the new magazines. Also, did you have to replace the firing pin with your conversion? Seems like after getting the baffle, firing pin, bolt head and the labor involved, the entire bolt may be the way to go if it's a push feed. Also, looks like there are a couple of different magazines that are the same style as mine for the two digit ,12,13,14, rifles. May have to buy a couple of them and return the one that doesn't work. Is there any Savage specific gun smiths on this site that would be able to help me with my build? Just hate to buy a bunch of parts and not be the right ones.

dfrosch
12-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Most all Savages are push feed. The alternate is controlled round feed. This is where the bolt head captures the cartridge as it comes out of the magazine.

PT&G stuff looks kinda cool, but I've heard there is no advantage to using it. I never have.

Didn't change the bolt head on my latest build, but have swapped 223 and 308 bolt heads several times. Didn't need to swap the firing pin. But, I always adjust the firing pin protrusion to around .040" on all my rifles. Did you read the articles?

giannid
12-31-2015, 11:32 AM
Yes, I've read the articles but have found a lot of conflicting information in the forums on the swap. Still doing research to avoid doing things wrong so I round up exactly what I need the first time. I'll try calling some more suppliers after the new year and see if I can get more info. In the meantime keep it coming.:smile-new:

dfrosch
12-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Found an old thread where someone swapped from a .473 bolt head to a WSM bolt head. http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?43676-473-to-Short-Mag-bolt-head-swap

Here's a quote from Hotolds442:

You need to use the longer firing pin because the lugs on the short action WSM bolt heads are longer than they are on a .473 bolt head.
The firing pin part numbers are:

Old style with adjustable protrusion - (firing pin, sh, hvy mag - 108695 $10.00) use s/n H743889 to order.
New style non-adjustable axis style - (firing pin, short hvy mag - 105758 $5.00) use s/n H840175 to order.

Bolt head, RH, Short Hvy Mag push feed - 106190 $29.00

I checked and the WSM bolt head is about .125" thicker than either the 223 or 308 bolt head. Looks like you would need to change the firing pin.

giannid
12-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Any ideal what part number the boat baffle is? Will Savage sell me this stuff?

ninner
01-01-2016, 12:17 AM
The last PTG magnum SA bolt head I bought was the same thickness as the factory one from my 270. I'd buy a Savage bolt head there just as good and a
lot less expensive than the PTG. As far as changing the baffle, I've never had to and am not sure why you would. Just found my answer to this, I haven't built on a short action yet only a long action and an Axis. It looks like you can trim your baffle if you want instead of buying one though.

Robinhood
01-01-2016, 12:21 AM
Buy a wsm or long action magnum rifle.

giannid
01-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Well, I'm going to call Savage on Monday and see if they'll help me out with the parts. Hopefully the ones listed in the old post are the correct ones for my gun as I know you can't return anything after you buy it. The magazine I'm still not sure but hopefully they will shed some light. Looks like they're a few that fit the WSM in short action.

Hotolds442
01-02-2016, 11:05 PM
If your rifle uses the magazines that you show in the links provided, do NOT get a controlled round feed bolt head. Doing so would require machining to mount the ejector to the action. Order the parts that I PM'd you from Savage and you'll have everything you need except for the barrel. You can also order a precision barrel nut if you'd like, but a precision lug will not fit in your accustock. You'll also need an extractor, since the 223 extractor is different than most others. The part number for that is 100139. All of the other parts in your 223 bolt head can be transferred to the new one.