PDA

View Full Version : SF magazine installation

Cover Dog
06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
After 31 years the front tab has let go from the spot weld. Ordered a new magazine and remember reading "how to install" but can't find it now. Something about a hammer and screw driver and hitting it to spring it in place. Any help would be great.

Cover Dog

rjtfroggy
06-23-2010, 06:33 AM
CD answered your own post, be gentle when you tap it and be patient it will go.

pdog06
06-23-2010, 07:07 AM
-flip action upside down
-slide rear tab of magbox in its place
-take a wide flathead screwdriver and place along the front tab(where tab meets magbox) at a 45 degree angle
-while applying downward pressure, give the screwdriver a smack with a hammer.
-This will allow the magbox to spring into place without banding the actual magbox.
-drink a beer to celebrate.

hailstone
06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Installing on my 110 I insert the front tab into the slot milled into the front of the bottom receiver opening. Rotate rear tab down until its sitting on the rear receiver opening. Notice there is a slight bevel. Just give a small sharp rap with something and it will slide down into the rear slot. I've used a small hammer, clamp or small block of wood and hit it with heal of my hand. Really doesn't take much most times.

tacticalj
06-23-2010, 07:33 AM
or solder back in place while in the reciever. Thats what i did and it works great!

BillPa
06-23-2010, 10:02 AM
After 31 years the front tab has let go from the spot weld. Ordered a new magazine and remember reading "how to install" but can't find it now. Something about a hammer and screw driver and hitting it to spring it in place. Any help would be great.

Cover Dog

The "Expert" way....

You'll need medium size pry bar or wants more communally known as a straight blade screwdriver and one can of beer.

Take a drink of the beer.

Put the round thingy( action) in a vise upside down. I suggest padded jaws so the next question isn't how to refinish an action.

Take a swig of the beer.

Put the the rear tab of mag in first ( trigger end.)

...beer

Place the pry bar ( screwdriver) at a 45 degree angle on the front tab where it meets the mag.

With your free hand...beer.

Set the beer down, press firmly down and back on the pry bar and using the heel of your other hand, the one previously holding the beer, give the the handle of the pry bar a smart whack. The mag should pop in place.

Finish the beer.

If your a wimpy little fella, you may need to use rubber mallet to crush the empty beer can. It also doubles as a alternate method to smack the pry bar instead of using you hand.

An alternate 15 second install method...... forgo the beer. ;D

sharpshooter
06-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Hailstone is correct....the front tab goes in first. That's why there is a bevel on the rear. That's the official factory method for install. There is no official factory method for removing...... ;D

Cover Dog
06-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks to all that replied. I should be back in business this weekend.

Cover Dog

pdog06
06-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I like Bill's way the best....LOL

hailstone
06-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Booze and guns like drinking and driving don't mix. Too infer otherwise shows how safety concerned you really are. Working on guns, reloading or hunting while consuming any type of alcholic beverage is a violation of the ten basic commandments of safe gun handling. I've been around individuals who think otherwise and needless to say they no longer are among my hunting party invites.

pdog06
06-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Dude, lighten up a little bit. Bill was just kidding. Dont think you know me or Bill well enough to judge our safety, so I wouldnt try it.

If you notice, my directions were the exact same as Bills, but without the comedy.