PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 or Axis rifle for build

Remingtonman
12-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Im in a dilemma. I ordered a savage axis 223 HB for my upcoming build but have since found a great deal on a stevens 200 in .223 which is $65 bucks cheaper. Which do you think would be a better platform to build from? Im rebarreling which ever one I get to a 6x45. I know both are good rifles to build off of but I would like to here from your guys experience, so I can make my mind up lol.

foxx
12-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Stevens 200. Hands down. The Axis was not designed to be better than the 10 series. It was introduced to simply offer a less expensive rifle that would serve the average, budget minded hunter. It just so happens that it can also be a dang good shooter. But if you can get a Stevens 200 for something around $250, get it. There are more and better aftermarket trigger options for it as well as stocks.

If you need to unload the Axis HB, PM me, I will send you my FFL's address. :)

Remingtonman
12-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Ok great. I will keep you in mind Foxx if I have to end up buying from my dealer.

GaCop
02-16-2016, 08:58 AM
Stevens 200. Hands down. The Axis was not designed to be better than the 10 series. It was introduced to simply offer a less expensive rifle that would serve the average, budget minded hunter. It just so happens that it can also be a dang good shooter. But if you can get a Stevens 200 for something around $250, get it. There are more and better aftermarket trigger options for it as well as stocks.

If you need to unload the Axis HB, PM me, I will send you my FFL's address. :) +1 for the Stevens 200.

swamphonkey
03-12-2016, 03:21 PM
I really like the Axis rifles for the money they are one of the best rifles out. But I think the Stevens 200 will give you more options as of now. That said you can build a heck of a rifle off the axis also. if you can afford it buy both put one up built the one you want first and do the other when the time is right. I have a feeling rifles are going to be harder and harder to get as time goes on. I try and buy 2 or 3 ayear and just put them up. I have several now I have not even shot. Ishould have got 100 of them norinco sks and ak when they were 79$ and 139$ each. Same rattle boxes are 5 times that now.

Remingtonman
03-12-2016, 04:17 PM
I really like the Axis rifles for the money they are one of the best rifles out. But I think the Stevens 200 will give you more options as of now. That said you can build a heck of a rifle off the axis also. if you can afford it buy both put one up built the one you want first and do the other when the time is right. I have a feeling rifles are going to be harder and harder to get as time goes on. I try and buy 2 or 3 ayear and just put them up. I have several now I have not even shot. Ishould have got 100 of them norinco sks and ak when they were 79$ and 139$ each. Same rattle boxes are 5 times that now.

Im with you there on that. I bought an sks and a mosin nagant when I turned 18 and have since sold them for more than triple the price. My stevens 200 build is almost finished im just waiting on my 6x45 barrel from jim @ apache. Will have to post some picts of here when I get it finished.