PDA

View Full Version : Stagger Feed Mag Question 7mm mag to 243

Lonnie69
12-29-2015, 02:46 PM
I picked up a Model 111 7mag stagger feed. I plan on putting a 243 barrel (that I already have) on it for my daughter for next deer season. I'm planning on getting a barrel nut and lug, and getting the barrel nut wrench. I made a barrel vice. I know that I need a bolt face. My questions are:

1 Am I missing anything else bolt related or otherwise?
2 Found a post in this forum that said the 7mag box magazine should work although it might take some alterations to the magazine: does this just consist of moving the lips closer together?
3. Would buying a 30-06 mag for it be the better option and would this eliminate any feed problems running 243 cases through the 06 mag?
4. Is an action wrench necessary?

Thanks
Lonnie

wbm
12-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Would buying a 30-06 mag for it be the better option

This is what I did when I put my 243 barrel on my 7mm Magnum. Magazine box was not expensive.

Lonnie69
12-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the input. You haven't experienced any feeding issues either?

darkker
12-29-2015, 06:29 PM
My most extreme change was: 7mm Rem Mag -> 22-250.
All I did was the barrel and bolt face. No feeding issues at all. Then I have done a 30-06 -> 264 Win Mag, that feed terribly and changed the mag/follower with only slight help.

What I find typically is due to the mfg process, or perhaps loose standards? Is that the short cartridge *can* pop up early and jam against the face of the barrel.

Try it without mag/follower change first, tweek if needed. Worse case is you are out another $20. If that is a deal breaker, you probably can't afford to build a rifle the first time:cool:

But I say don't throw parts at a problem that may not exist.