PDA

View Full Version : Factory muzzle brake barrels

cowboybart
12-27-2015, 11:34 PM
A friend told me about a 6.5-284 Savage barrel w/ a factory muzzle brake. This is the style of brake that can be turned on and off. I am interested in finding out what configuration these were made in.
Are these:
sporter or varmint weight?
S/S or Cro Moly?
Length?
small shank or large?
9" or 8" twist?

I have only seen this style barrel/brake in a short (20" I think) 300 WM barrel in CroMoly

big honkin jeep
12-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Pretty sure the long range hunter came in 6.5x.284 with a 26"(as measured with the brake) carbon steel barrel.
I'm also pretty sure Savage can hook you up with about anything you want if you pay a premium and special order a rifle from their special order shop.
I have a couple of AK (adjustable brakes) on rifles in long action and magnum rifles, in both stainless and blued with various lengths and contours of barrels.

6.5savageguy
12-28-2015, 10:22 PM
I've got a Model 11 LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor that came with that brake it's the 26" barrel including the brake. I fired it a few times with the brake open/on when the rifle was new then closed it and fired it some more. I liked it closed better, quieter and frankly didn't feel there was enough recoil to warrant it in the first place. Later I tried to open it and found it stuck in the off position. I'm fine with it stuck closed but I don't think I would buy another rifle with that style brake.
One thing I've noticed when cleaning a lot of debris comes out of the brake and cleaning solution seeps through the holes as well. I've thought about getting a thread protector built fo it and removing it but I'll more likely just get a new match barrel without the brake and put it on the rifle.

big honkin jeep
12-28-2015, 10:49 PM
The one thing about the AK feature you have to lube it after shooting or it will lock up. i love the adjustable brakes but have locked one up myself. To unfreeze it you need to put some good penetrating lube into the holes and let it soak for a while. Then wrap a leather belt around it to keep from screwing it up and grab it with a pair of pliers and rock it back and forth. If it doesn't come at first give it some more time and try again later. Once free just be sure and properly lube it when you're done shooting and you wont have a problem with it.