PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 11 , blind mag trouble

Dogsgone
12-27-2015, 11:17 PM
I purchased a Model 11 Savage that had been taken completely apart. I was assured all the parts were there to reassemble it. I got it put together but there was no
Spring follower or box mag (blind)
I ordered one from Jack First it came in will not work. It came with the little angle brackets front and back oh box mag. My 110 is recessed where these angles will clip into to hold box mag to receiver. This Model 11 has no such recess to accept the lips it is smooth. The lady at Jack First assures me it is the right one. Help please it is a 308, synthetic stock non accutrigger. Thanks in advance

foxx
12-27-2015, 11:58 PM
The mag boxes that attach to the underside of the action are called "Stagger Feed" actions. The mags for them must have tags that fit into the slots you described on your model 110. Therefore, your model 110 is a stagger feed.

Your model 10 is a "Center Feed" action. It requires a Center Feed box mag that attaches to the stock, inside the mag well. It will not have those tabs on either end of the box. The one you describe that you got from Jack First is a stagger feed blind mag Box. Those tabs or brackets on the ends of the box are for attaching it to the underside of a Stagger Feed model like your 110. It definitely will not work with your center feed model.

If I were you, I would call them back, explain that they sent you a staggerfeed blind mag box and spring and follower and would like to exchange it for a Center Feed model. If they don't know the difference, ask for your money back and order one from Savage Customer Service. About $25-35. They won't be open till about Jan 4th, though.

I am tired, and I don't think I am explaining this as well as I should, but, basically, you are correct. You got the wrong mag box and it won't work on your center feed action. The gal you talked to is mistaken. Frankly speaking, she does not know what she is talking about and that is not a good thing. Anyone who deals with Savage parts should know and understand the difference. It's a pretty fundamental and elementary detail about Savage that must be understood. Personally, I would not do business with someone who does not know any better than that. It's perfectly understandable that YOU might not know the difference, but entirely inexcusable that she would not, especially when you explained that is does not appear to be right to you.

Dogsgone
12-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Thanks I will look into that.

Dogsgone
12-28-2015, 12:11 AM
What holds the mag box in position in the stock? Is it where the lips go into the bottom of the action keep it centered in the stock?

foxx
12-28-2015, 01:22 AM
There is an "L" clip that wedges between the rear of the box and the rear-end of the mag well. The L is inverted with the "base" of the "L" extending over the top of the rear of the well, extending towards the rear action screw. It actually has a circular relief cut into it so the action screw can slip thru it. Hard to describe. Pic would make more sense. I still can't post pics. DOn't worry about it. Just ask for the "L" clip when ordering and look for pics. FAQ's may have some.

THe mag you need does not have any "lips". It is totally different design than what you have there.

Check FAQ's.

Dogsgone
12-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Makes sense, explains why rear action screw was to long! Thanks for the help will call them when they open. Thanks again

Texas10
12-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Once they are open again after the holidays, you can go to the Savage website and find the "store" tab over on the right. Go down to "part finder" in the drop down menu and click on it. Then enter your rifles serial number. You'll get a description of your gun and an exploded view (what an unfortunate term!). In the exploded diagram, click on the little box with number in it that relates to the part you're interested in and the part number and price will pop up.

I just tried it and apparently the part finder program is shut down while they are on holiday. I know, doesn't make sense to me either.

Happy holidays!

Dogsgone
12-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Thanks