PDA

View Full Version : accuracy issues

quinton
12-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Bought a 111 trophy package in 308. Come with a nikon scope installed. Having problems with random fliers

So far have tried
1) shooting offhand
2) shooting from different supports
3) taking off scope, scope bases, stock and reinstalling
4)centerpointe scope from my 10/22 with factory scope ring and base (all my other scopes have built in weavers and wont fit) of course it didnt get much shock on that gun
5) tried different ammo soft and fmj by different manufactors even the m80 military spec
6) thought it was the nut on stock, so removed myself and tried two other people to shoot

End result was always same as new out of box. It may hit POA or would be off by a HUGE amount as in a foot or more at 75yrds :mad::o
Direction of fliers can be up/down, left/right or combination off.
Doesnt seem to matter if cold 1st shot or third shot.
I've gone through 3-4 boxes of ammo trying different things.

Have two junk scopes?
tupperwear stock bad?
junk scope mount and rings?

quinton
12-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Would it worth while to try a single piece weaver base in place of the factory two piece mount?

Newtosavage
12-27-2015, 09:40 PM
I bought the 11 package with most likely, the same scope.

1st thing I did was remove and throw away those cheap rings and crappy bases. I went with stock Weaver bases and split-ring Weaver rings, both from my local Wal-Mart. Aluminum, and not expensive, but a far cry better than that junk they put on those packaged rifles. It's very sad and somewhat ironic that we would see such cheap rings and bases on one of the most accurate factory rifles available.

The scope should be okay, but I chose to sell mine and get the excellent Sightron SI 4-12 AO with the HHR reticle. I do not regret these choices whatsoever, and recently with handloads, have shot multiple 1" groups at 300 yards with my model 11 .308.

My groups have gotten better as my gun has broken in too, so consider that.

But I'd absolutely suspect those bases and rings.

243LPR
12-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Make sure the screws on the front base aren't bottoming out on the barrel keeping the base from tightening. Check barrel bedding for pressure on barrel somewhere. Accustock? Try different torque settings on action screws.

quinton
12-27-2015, 09:47 PM
No accustock. Bottom end plastic stock. Is there anything to check with it? May just order new base and mounts to try. Thanks for replies

vancev
12-27-2015, 10:25 PM
i had a similar issue some years back. It ended up being the action was shifting in the stock. On further inspection i learned that savage uses some cheap plastic stocks
and in this case my recoil lug was not backed against the shelf in the stock so the recoil was pulling the action screws reward smashing the plastic back inside the
action screw holes of the stock ... i apologize my wording may not be perfect as it was a interesting issue and is very hard to explain

i would get normal 3 out of 5 rounds in a 3/4 inch group the other 2 well who knows where they went

quinton
12-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Thank you vancev. What would I look for to see if mine is this way? When I take it apart I'm not sure I will be able to see how it fits

vancev
12-27-2015, 10:32 PM
the easiest way i can think of would be to take the action out of the stock run the action screws back in the stock and look for any signs of shifting.

then i would measure from center of the recoil lug back and make sure its sitting in the channel.

and that the stock is correct in my case it was very apparent that the recoil was pulling the action screws reward in the stock

foxx
12-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Stumped. 1 foot off at 100 yards is absurdly ridiculous. As someone else said and you are leaning towards, definitely replace the base and rings. They suck. Absolutely suck. If not at first, they will prove to eventually.

I doubt it is the stock. The design/material isn't so bad that it could cause this, unless the whole action is shifting inside of it somehow. Make sure action screws are not loosening. Make sure the barrel is free-floated.

quinton
12-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Nothing is coming loose. Took stock and scope off few times and retightened

quinton
12-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Found a weaver aluminum extended multi slot base for savage for savage sa 20 moa made by weaver. These good?

vancev
12-27-2015, 10:46 PM
weaver makes good stuff in my onion the 20 moa aspect will really depend on you and your intended use with a traditional rifle scope a a standard base may suit you better

if your planning a longer range rifle and plan to upgrade your glass later then im sure it will work well for you

quinton
12-27-2015, 10:48 PM
I've read that the 20moa doesn't have any drawbacks even if not needed

bigcheese920
12-27-2015, 11:21 PM
20MOA does effect scopes if there's not enough travel in the scope or if the rings are crappy it could take a lot of elevation just to zero the scope. Then having to compensate for the extra moa from the rail it could cause it to not be as clear as it could be.

Think of the max range that you're going to shoot and if it's more than say 5-600 yards I'd get the 20moa rail if not get standard.

NicfromAlabama
12-28-2015, 01:50 AM
My Axis in .223 took about 100 rounds through it before it began to shoot decently. I do not think that I had 1 foot fliers though, but groups were not great until it settled in. After about 100 rounds though, the groups tightened right up. I think it has already been suggested, but check and see if the barrel is touching the stock anywhere.

You mentioned bases. I put a Weaver base on my Axis and I consider it a well made base. You probably don't need the 20 MOA version though. I really don't care for extended bases either. I can never get the scope back far enough with an extended base. Maybe I have a short neck. All the extended base does for me is hit the scope bell preventing it from being moved back like I need it. That's my experience with them anyway.

If your stock is as flimsy as my Axis stock, try shooting off a bag with the stock pushed as far forward as possible resting on the magazine well area to help prevent the forend from bending. Just to cover all bases, look at the muzzle and make sure the crown is not nicked or damaged.

I think a good base and rings may help. After you do that and nothing works, I would contact Savage and let them look at it. My Axis shot VERY low from the factory. I should have sent it back, but I just used some Burris rings with the inserts to correct the problem. So, yeah, Savage can ship rifles with issues.

bigcheese920
12-28-2015, 02:23 AM
The other thing that you can try is to make sure your action screws are torqued correctly or at all. If they are not torqued evenly it could be causing stress in the action.

quinton
12-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks nic. Didn't think about scope hitting extended base