PDA

View Full Version : A17/A22 Series: A17 double tap!!

blueluke
12-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Hello all. New to the forum. Just joined to post this about my a17.

Just bought a new a17 a week ago. Got a chance to shoot it today. I did all the recomondations to a T. Cleaned it totally, then lightly lubed the bolt contact points with mpro 7 sythetic grease. Purchased the cci a17 ammo. Started shooting. Was firing 3 shot groups and then running a boresnake through (just something i like to do with new guns, not sure it makes a difference.

First few groups no problem, then on one of the groups i pulled the trigger and nothing. It appeared that it had cycled and chambered a new round, but didnt cock. I did notice that i was sunk deep in my sand bags and the large bolt handle possibly could of contacted the bags. I took note and adjusted so that wouldnt happen. I grabbed the bolt and mannually cycled it ejecting a live round and putting in a new one. Heres where it gets interesting. The next time i pull the trigger...bang bang...two rapid shots together with one trigger pull. So fast i wasnt even sure of my self if i herd corectly.

A little shaken im paying real close attention now. A few more groups with out a problem then it happened again, pulled.the trigger and nothing as if its not cocked again. This time i put gun on safe, go put up a new target. Come back, manually work the action again...bang bang..to fast shots again with one trigger pull and 2 bullets in the paper.

Needless to say im not a happy camper. Quit shooting right then. I live in canada and i need to contact savage tommorow to see what steps i need to take to get this fixed. Just thought i would post this tonight and see if anyone else has had this happen and get any input on the situation. Gun has less then 35 shots through.

Wish my first post on the forum was a better one!!

Robinhood
12-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Sounds like a serious issue with regards to safety. Good idea to talk to savage. Good luck.

short round
12-28-2015, 02:04 AM
Savage is on holiday break.

Lonewulf
12-28-2015, 11:50 PM
mine does not do that, I would call Savage, they are break till next week. every year they shut down from X-mas to after New years

J.Baker
12-29-2015, 02:05 PM
The first one I got in for review did that to me a couple times, never happened with the second one. Definitely need to get in touch with Savage, they'll be back to work on the 4th.

Paul S.
01-20-2016, 05:40 PM
blueluke, We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Since you are in Canada we would suggest that the firearm be sent to our warranty repair station: Grech Outdoors.
I have attached a quick contact info section about them. Thanks for your patronage.

Grech Outdoors
Website (http://www.grechoutdoors.ca/)
Directions (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/grech+outdoors+inc/data=!4m5!4m4!1m0!1m2!1m1!1s0x882bd4637a59e901:0xe 9d65aeee9855e2f?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikxaCJrbnKAhWKox4KHZZ9DNQQ9RcIbDAL)

Address: 115 Fergus St S, Mount Forest, ON N0G 2L2, Canada

Phone:+1 519-509-4867

Hello all. New to the forum. Just joined to post this about my a17.

Just bought a new a17 a week ago. Got a chance to shoot it today. I did all the recomondations to a T. Cleaned it totally, then lightly lubed the bolt contact points with mpro 7 sythetic grease. Purchased the cci a17 ammo. Started shooting. Was firing 3 shot groups and then running a boresnake through (just something i like to do with new guns, not sure it makes a difference.

First few groups no problem, then on one of the groups i pulled the trigger and nothing. It appeared that it had cycled and chambered a new round, but didnt cock. I did notice that i was sunk deep in my sand bags and the large bolt handle possibly could of contacted the bags. I took note and adjusted so that wouldnt happen. I grabbed the bolt and mannually cycled it ejecting a live round and putting in a new one. Heres where it gets interesting. The next time i pull the trigger...bang bang...two rapid shots together with one trigger pull. So fast i wasnt even sure of my self if i herd corectly.

A little shaken im paying real close attention now. A few more groups with out a problem then it happened again, pulled.the trigger and nothing as if its not cocked again. This time i put gun on safe, go put up a new target. Come back, manually work the action again...bang bang..to fast shots again with one trigger pull and 2 bullets in the paper.

Needless to say im not a happy camper. Quit shooting right then. I live in canada and i need to contact savage tommorow to see what steps i need to take to get this fixed. Just thought i would post this tonight and see if anyone else has had this happen and get any input on the situation. Gun has less then 35 shots through.

Wish my first post on the forum was a better one!!

blueluke
01-29-2016, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. But i had the warranty info the day savage opened back up after the holidays and had the gun in the mail to grech outdoors. Lately i have called there several times to get an update. Yes i am a little anxious to have my new gun working, but they have not been the nicest to deal with. Not terrable but certainly not overly friendly. The last call i made the other the smith had done some work on the gun. I asked what the problem was and the lady said it was excessive grease, so they did some type of steam clean process to remove the excessive grease.....but then she said they also replaced the bolt, guiderail and spring. I did not get a great fealing about it cause it kind of seemed like alot of guessing. Again, im not a gunsmith and i hope im wrong cause all i want is to be returned a good working a17. So then she told me it was in the pile waiting to be test fired but she didnt know when that would be. I asked if she could call me after it was test fired and let me know when it was being mailed back. Her reply was "not likely" and she went on to tell me they were too busy to make calls like that and i should call back myself next week. So then i asked her if my 43 dollar shipping cost to send it there would be reimbersed she pretty much said theres no way they look after it but she did give me the phone number for savage canada customer service. So i called there and got a very nice polite lady. She told me they dont usually look after the cost of my shipping the gun to them, but after explaining to her how i felt about that she was very polite and said she would make some calls and see if i could get that reembirsed and call me back that day. So i was quite pleased, but that was days ago and i havnt herd back yet.

So in a nutshell my whole experiance with savage has not been great. And at this point my 43 dollar shipping cost may not seem like much, but every little bit could help to make this experiance a little better. As everyone knows our canadian dollar has gotten very weak lately, which means our gun prices have soared. Ive got over 600 with taxes in this gun only to fire 30 times and spend 43 more to mail it back.

Im having my doughts but im really trying to stay positive that i will get back a properly working, safe a17. And be a happy camper again. We will see.

sixonetonoffun
01-29-2016, 01:17 AM
I was looking at one runs $389 USD + tax at WM. After seeing these threads and the lack of ammo... I have pretty much decided against one. Maybe if they make a bmag semi auto :-)

I realize its still less money then a basic AR but the gap is not enough to sway me either way.

My kid built a very basic lefty and I had no trouble making hits with it. I think he spent $700 on that one.

1raggedhole76
02-18-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm new to this forum, but have been on rimfire central for a couple years. I was a Guinea pig for the bmag and a17. Both experiences were not good. Goes like the old wisdom of never buying first model year of a new car. Anyway, I had the exact same issue with an early a17, meaning the trigger would not reset properly or the hammer would not stay cocked after cycling. There were (or are) serious safety issues with the A17 trigger assembly, not to mention being a far cry from an "accu-trigger". I sold that rifle only because of the trigger issues.