PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Hunter-not 26 inch barrel...

chadster73
06-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Was looking at more Long Range Hunters last night @ Sportsmans Warehouse in Salt Lake. The gentleman behind the counter put the measuring tape on the barrel. The actual length of the barrel itself MINUS the break appears to only be 22 inches. It actually measured less than 22 inches assuming about half an inch or so of it is threaded into the action or lock nut or whatever.
IF this i true, I'll be a little dissapointed. :'( How can you have a "long range hunter" anything without at least a 24 inch barrel???
I actually like this rifle alot... and probably will end up buying one within the year, so I'm not bashing... Can anyone else speak to this? Savage can do anything they want... maybe I was just naive in believing the actual barrel itself minus the break would be in the 24 to 26 range... these models coming out of the factory definately aren't that... I could care less about these not having the flutes...

pdog06
06-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Where did he measure to? If he measured to the edge of the barrel nut he probably did get 22", but the barrel nut is 7/8" long and about an inch goes in the action, which would make it 24" plus the brake, or 26" total. Any longer barrel isnt gonna make that much of a difference, except for maybe 50-75fps and making it extra nose heavy in that light stock.

If you want a longer barrel and/or unfluted you could always call the Savage custom shop and have it made exactly how you want it.

chadster73
06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
You're right... I called and spoke w/a gentleman @ Savage for clarification. He confirmed that the barrel itself is indeed 24 inches w/a 2 inch break! I didn't think much more than a quarter to half an inch would go into the action/nut.

pdog06
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM
SO now you're buyin it right... ;) :D

chadster73
06-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I was going to buy one before... just was a little bummed out... but turns out that my that was completely unfounded... so now I'm more fired up than I was before... think'in the 25-06 will be the one for me... I like the 6.5-284 but... I don't like the idea of having to rebarrel after every 1500 'ish rounds. Plus, the 25-06 for antelope and mulies here in the Utah/Wyoming area should flip the bill perfectly!

McKinneyMike
06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Nothing wrong with the 25-06 ;D Sounds like a plan!