PDA

View Full Version : Prairie dog shooting bipod! Need help!

brstevens
12-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Might be going prairie dog shooting for the first time this coming year. What height bipod do you find most useful? Do you find yourself shooting sitting or prone ? I am 6'1" so what height would work best? This is all new to me.

pdog2062
12-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Get yourself a good portable bench and save your neck from shooting prone and get up off the ground away from the fleas and ticks.You can get fairly decent ones at Cabelas and such places,also gives a place to put an umbrella or other shade.You will thank yourself on the prairie because you will be addicted so much that next year you will want a nicer one.

03mossy
12-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Good advice for sure! Sand chiggars are no joke. Got em bad the first time out, never again. Coat your ankles with bug spray before you even put socks on. The soak your socks and boots. But yes build a portable shooting table. Then just a shooting rest or a short bipod.

snowgetter1
12-27-2015, 03:47 AM
I use a PSR (precission shooting rest) on a tripod while I sit on a folding stool. My neck and back cannot handle laying in the prone that long anymore. I do have a tall bipod so I can shoot sitting too.

yobuck
12-27-2015, 10:42 AM
A portable bench definatly has its advantages over other methods. With high bipods, and most tripods,
there is no place to rest your elbows when shooting as there is prone or from a bench. Even a couple of
saw horses with a piece of plywood on top will work well. And it allows for a place for ammo, binnocs, rangefinder etc.

Iowa Fox
12-28-2015, 01:04 AM
A home made bench tailored to your needs, light weight to be portable easily carried, solid as a rock for the long shots using a 6-9 Harris bi pod. Spend the money for a Harris as its not the place to skimp. Shooting off the ground or a wobbly bench is for the birds if your in a good dogtown. If your frugal or a scrounger for material and build it yourself 50 bucks will get you a nice bench. Try to talk to as many folks in person as you can find that have actually been out there year after year for advice.

Sam5300
01-31-2016, 06:45 PM
I live in South Dakota and shoot quite a few prarie dogs. I don't know if you have a lot of rattle snakes, but around here they go hand in hand. I would say I usually see them when shooting p-dogs. I used to use a 6-9 inch bipod. The taller is a little better when laying in grass, to see over the grass. About 6 months ago I was shooting over a town and decided to move to a different mound to shoot off of, layed down, shot and holy s**t a rattler came out of that hole next to my face so fast I couldn't believe it. I don't shoot right by a hole anymore and I made a portable bench haha. Just something to think about.

Armed in Utah
02-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Don't lay on the ground.........a portable table is a must...the added elevation & comfy flat rest works best...get away from the ants...snakes...etc
Simple to build using a half sheet of 3/4" plywood....threaded 1.25" pipe legs...brackets welded to a 4"x4" 1/4" plate..using 1.25" threaded pipe sleeves on a 15* angle..

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/tikkanut/ff011898-ac23-407b-86c6-ce61a4a78a96_zpssrdpmrvg.jpg