PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 Scout in 7.62x39 on the way. Am I going to love or hate this gun?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Newtosavage
12-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Two things about the CZ I don't care for. 1) magazine not flush at the balance point, and 2) stock comb was designed for iron sights only and you have to mount a scope so high that I just don't see much of a cheek weld happening. But the wood stock and light weight do appeal to me, as does the idea of handing it down to grandkids someday.

Since I plan to hand load, the option of having all three of my hunting rifles using .308 bullets appeals to me, as does the Accutrigger and Accustock on the Savage. I'm also hoping that I like the scout scope arrangement on the Savage. Just wish it wasn't so pricey.

Maine-iac
12-27-2015, 08:16 PM
If it will make you feel better I think it is a rifle that will hold its value and the kids and grand kids will think its cool as heck! ;)

Newtosavage
12-27-2015, 09:42 PM
You mean the CZ, or the Savage?

Maine-iac
12-28-2015, 06:47 AM
The Savage! :thumb:

Newtosavage
12-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Oh, okay. That's good!

Newtosavage
12-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Maine-iac, I'm curious about your comment that your CZ loves the Federal Fusion and Powershock ammo. Are those .310/311 bullets? If so, what American 7.62x39 ammo is using .308 bullets these days? I know the Hornady 50-round box with 123-grain SST bullets are .311. So for someone who wanted to just use factory or surplus ammo, it would seem the CZ might make more sense.

I was thinking I would handload my hunting ammo, which is why the .308 bore may be better for me, giving me the option to use any/all of the 30-30 bullets that are available.

jonbearman
12-28-2015, 02:36 PM
I put one bacl together a fella sold me on this forum, it is a riot to shoot. Very low recoil similar to a 30-30. I like it and mine has a Mc Gowen after market barrel. Very accurate.

Newtosavage
12-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Gonna go look at a CZ 527 at a "local" (nothing is local to me out here) gun store and see what I think. I don't think I'll be satisifed until I handle them both. Aside from a mid-range hunting rifle and inexpensive plinker, my main reason for looking at this 7.62x39 chambering is for a lightweight woods rifle that I can scope with something like a 1.5-5x20 compact and light optic. I spend a lot of time on my feet in the woods when I hunt whitetails with a rifle, and as much as I enjoy my model 11 .308 at the range, between the 22" barrel and 4-12 AO optic, it's flat wearing me out carrying it all day long. It also doesn't point very quickly in the woods, I've found.

So that may become my range/stand rifle and the 7.62x39 my walking rifle. Just not sure the Savage Scout is going to be light and handy enough to be much different from my model 11 in that dept.

Decisions, decisions. Heck, I may just fall in love with that CZ and bring it home. We'll see...

Maine-iac
12-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Newtosavage I have done a lot of web searching and it would seem most US ammo has gone to .310-.311 for 7.62x39 ammo. From other forums I gather Federal and Winchester always have been. Remington switched around 2004. With the popularity of the caliber growing and SAMMI standards it only made sense for the ammo companies to make and stock .310-.311 bullets. Why let all that business go to overseas companies? Ruger Switched its Mini 30 and 77 compact bolts to .310-.311 some time around 2004. Surprised Savage did not go that way. Also surprised they told you to only use American made ammo because near as I can tell they have all switched to .310-.311. Of course I am going off memory and second hand info. Only way to know for sure is buy some calipers and measure or call the ammo companies and ask. Also there is somebody out there making a flush detachable magazine for the CZ 527. The factory one does make it is a little awkward to carry but it is so darn compact and light it does not matter.

Newtosavage
12-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Whew! That was a close one!

I very nearly walked out of that gun shop with a new-to-me CZ 527 today. What a nice gun in so many ways!

Going to see if I like the Savage as much, and if not, I know what I'll be getting.

Maine-iac, I've seen information on Ruger's own website that they never switched from .308 to .311 bore for the Mini-30 and that it ever being .308 was purely rumor. I'll see if I can find that link.

Maine-iac
12-29-2015, 06:45 AM
They are hard to put down once you pick them up. Many a hunter have purchased the CZ intending it to be their kids gun but it never happens. They end up keeping it for themselves. Probably why CZ released a youth model this year. Not sure on the Ruger barrel diameter as well. Just read on a couple forums that they finally switched over. You also hear of improved accuracy in the newer mini 30's with the .310-.311 ammo. If I was interested in buying another Ruger 7.62x39 I would call Ruger customer service. I am more interested in whos making what in factory ammo.

Newtosavage
12-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Yup, hard to put down describes that CZ 527 very well. The salesperson there got out every sub-6.5 lb. hunting rifle he had, and I kept coming back to that 527, probably because it was the only one with blued steel and a real wood stock. He brought me a Ruger 77/44, a Ruger Am. Ranch .300 BO, a Marlin 336, and a Rem. Model 7 in .300 BO and .243. They were all parkerized steel and plastic stocks, both of which I really can't stand. Guess I grew up looking at Winchester Model 70's and original Model 94's and can't get over how cheap today's guns look.

I hope to get a look at that Savage 10 Scout this week. I keep waiting for the call from our Cabelas...

This is probably a dumb idea, but what would be the harm in lopping a few inches (and the front sight) off that barrel on the Scout? I doubt even then I could get it down under 7 lbs. with a scope, but I can't see it hurting accuracy at the limits of the effective hunting range for that caliber.

Newtosavage
12-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Now here's another crazy idea... What would it take - or is it even possible - to convert that Savage 10 Scout from 7.62x39 to 30-30, since it has the .308" barrel? Reason I ask is I am reloading already for my 30-30 Winchester, and this would allow me to use the same ammo between my lever and bolt gun. Would the bolt face/extractor work for a 30-30?

Maine-iac
12-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Newtosavage I would not give up on the 7.62x39. As you know I am not reloader but will be before the winter ends. I understand the want to make and shoot your own loads. One of the glories of shooting the 7.62x39 is the cheap ammo and abundance of it. Now if you go with the Savage you will have to either hope it shoots the .310-.311 factory stuff or reload. I would follow Savage CS advice but I honestly dont know what the outcome would be shooting the .311 out of a .308? Does it burn the barrel out quicker? I would anticipate poor accuracy. Risk of injury? I would consult a gunsmith or someone on this forum who knows. I do know this. I had one of the original Min 30's purchased in 1987. That must of had the .308 bore. I shot cases of Wolf, WInchester, PMC out of that thing. I believe they were .311. Never a concern that they were not a match. Accuracy was not great but I could bust clay skeet lined up at 50 yards using factory peep sights. Killed a number of deer one shot kills brush hunting. If I was to change anything on that Savage it would be either have the barrel re-cut to .311 or install a new .311 barrel. As much as I love my CZ and the walnut stock that Savage has a lot going for it as well. The ability to shoot the cheap factory ammo with accuracy would increase its value and usefulness.

Newtosavage
12-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Yea, it was just a random thought I had. I would love a good lightweight bolt action 30-30.

The 308/311 thing does have me a little confused and concerned. On the one hand, if all I'm going to shoot from it is cheap factory ammo, then it may make more sense to go with the CZ. But if I handload for the 7.62 (and I plan to) then there is a much better selection of bullets in the .308 diameter than the .311, and I can use bullets designed for the slower velocity of the 30-30, including the new Hornady FTX pointed rounds. That's kind of what I was thinking - that I would load 140 grain FTX bullets for the 7.62. However, if all I shoot through it are handloads in .308, then that really removes a big reason to go with the 7.62x39 caliber in the first place - cheap surplus/factory ammo - and I may as well stick with my 30-30 or .308 since I'm already loading for those.

So I guess my concern is whether shooting the .311 surplus through the Savage .308 bore will shorten the barrel life or cause any long-term issues. My plan was to shoot the steel case Hornady/Wolf/Tula for plinking, then fire some PPU and harvest that brass for my reloads in .308.

I hate to pass on the Savage, but does the CZ 527 just make more sense?

futurerider103
12-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Logically thinking it would shorten barrel length compared to sorting a .308 bullet. And from my reading if you shoot the .311 bullet in the .301 bore your accuracy won't be so great. This is why I'm going to buy a cheap used short action and take the barrel off and swap it for an x-caliber barrel with the .311 bore since I'll be primarily shooting surplus

Newtosavage
12-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Makes sense. Funny that the test ammo listed by Savage for their 7.62x39 is the Hornady V-max 123 gr., which is a .311 bullet. It really makes me wonder why they made that scout in the .308 bore.

Maine-iac
12-30-2015, 01:10 PM
I have just spent a bit of time reading quotes and discussions from other forums. Some members that commented owned both the CZ and the Savage. They say they feed it all types and sizes with zero issues. I googled "Factory ammo in a Savage Scout" and found some good discussion. Sounds like barrel wear could be a minor concern but most people had satisfactory accuracy out of the Savage with cheap .311 ammo. They all seem to like the Hornady factory stuff. Its only $30 for a box of 50. Extractor wear was the other possible concern with the Savage yanking on steel cased ammo. I would handle both and decide from that.

Newtosavage
12-30-2015, 01:23 PM
That's my plan. I appreciate the 2nd set of eyes on this, so thanks.

If I don't get the Savage scout, then I will decide between the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in that caliber (if I can find it) or .308, as I already load for the .308, and can use H4895 to load that round down to 7.62 velocities and recoil.

Goal here is to find an up-to 200-yard walking rifle for deer. I have learned that my Savage 11 with the 22" barrel and a legit. scope on it for 300 yard hunting is just more rifle than I want to carry all day in the woods. I would take my trusty M94 30-30, but with a scope (making it a legit. 200-yard gun) it's as heavy or heavier than my full sized bolt gun. Without a scope, I'm not confident with it beyond 100 yards.

Most of my shots would be inside 100, but there are a lot of places I hunt where a 200-yard shot is very possible in the woods. Open creek bottoms, big pine stands that have been burned, pipelines, etc.

So I'm kinda stuck between my Win. 94 and the full length Savage 11 at the moment.

I've also had an interest in that 7.62x39 round since blowing through a couple cases of surplus ammo in a SKS back in the mid-90's. I'm sure in a good bolt gun it's a very accurate and capable round for deer out to 200 yards.

Inebriated
12-30-2015, 07:48 PM
That's my plan. I appreciate the 2nd set of eyes on this, so thanks.

If I don't get the Savage scout, then I will decide between the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in that caliber (if I can find it) or .308, as I already load for the .308, and can use H4895 to load that round down to 7.62 velocities and recoil.

Goal here is to find an up-to 200-yard walking rifle for deer. I have learned that my Savage 11 with the 22" barrel and a legit. scope on it for 300 yard hunting is just more rifle than I want to carry all day in the woods. I would take my trusty M94 30-30, but with a scope (making it a legit. 200-yard gun) it's as heavy or heavier than my full sized bolt gun. Without a scope, I'm not confident with it beyond 100 yards.

Most of my shots would be inside 100, but there are a lot of places I hunt where a 200-yard shot is very possible in the woods. Open creek bottoms, big pine stands that have been burned, pipelines, etc.

So I'm kinda stuck between my Win. 94 and the full length Savage 11 at the moment.

I've also had an interest in that 7.62x39 round since blowing through a couple cases of surplus ammo in a SKS back in the mid-90's. I'm sure in a good bolt gun it's a very accurate and capable round for deer out to 200 yards.
Have you looked at the Savage Lightweight Hunter?

5.5 pounds bare, should be an ounce or two over 6 pounds with a lighter weight scope, it's got a 20" barrel, and you'd reap the benefits of a (relative to 7.62x39) flat 200 yard trajectory for a .308. Or even a .243. Plus, the ammo and bullet selection is just head and shoulders better for those cartridges.