PDA

View Full Version : Kroil and Barrel rust

Monkeymaster
12-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Hi,
I have a youth model muzzle loader I picked up that was used and I guess a little abused, the barrel right in front of the breech plug has some pitting and rust in it.
So reading other posts about Kroil being the oil to get the rust out I applied some liberally over the affected spot after cleaning the barrel.
Now 2 months later I check it out and find that the rust has "grown" or dusted up around the pitting.
So I wiped it out and again liberally coated the area with Kroil.
Is this how Kroil works, or is the rust getting worse ?
Gun is in safe with a golden rod, no other guns are showing rust issues, so humidity is not an issue.
Thanks in advance.

devildogandboy
12-24-2015, 08:54 PM
i can't answer your questions about the Kroil, i have never used it but you might want to look into getting some "desiccant silica gel" packs to toss into your safe to keep it moisture free. i also have the golden rod in mine.

Bruce

shagerott
12-24-2015, 10:58 PM
I have used Kroil to soak a stuck barrel nut. It may have had no rust but Kroil penetrated and softened it so it was easily removed. I don't know if it stops rust, too light for that and best as a penetrating oil. I have used CLP to coat parts and it does help prevent rust.

Big Boom
12-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Kroil is not a protectant add a little u.s.p. borepaste with it and it not only cleans well, it leaves a thin film of protection in the barrel.

olddav
12-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Anyone ever use Corrosion X in a barrel? I don't think it will remove or soften rust but it should protect it from rusting in the future.

FW Conch
12-26-2015, 09:01 PM
All I have ever needed or used, since I first found out about it, is Brakefree CLP. Put it on, wipe it all off. Cleans, Lubricates, Protects, even in the salty Florida Keys :-)

DrThunder88
12-27-2015, 09:42 AM
I use Mobil 1. Paste wax if it's long term storage.

yobuck
12-27-2015, 10:51 AM
All I have ever needed or used, since I first found out about it, is Brakefree CLP. Put it on, wipe it all off. Cleans, Lubricates, Protects, even in the salty Florida Keys :-)

I had about a 20 year association with the Marathon area. Im not aware of any places one can at least legally shoot in the keys.
Has that changed in the last 6 years since ive left there?

FW Conch
12-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Nope! There is an indoor range at MM 10 now, 25yds, I only shoot pistol there. For Me, it is 160 miles to the corner of 27 and 41 to the closest range. It is 300yds. I visit friends up state to shoot and hunt hogs occasionally.

But, most of my shooting and hunting is done in Virginia, where I own land and keep most of my firearms.

yobuck
12-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Its a long way to anywhere from where you are. You need a whole day to get home from the the FL/GA state line.

GaCop
12-27-2015, 03:14 PM
I use Birchwood Casey Barricade on and in my muzzle loaders. I have no rust problems even in our high humidity.

FW Conch
12-27-2015, 09:03 PM
yobuck, You got that right. I have to get to Brunswick, Ga. before I am half way to my place in Virginia.

The up side to being a Citizen of the "Conch Republic", the fishing is year round! :-)

yobuck
12-28-2015, 09:58 AM
yobuck, You got that right. I have to get to Brunswick, Ga. before I am half way to my place in Virginia.

The up side to being a Citizen of the "Conch Republic", the fishing is year round! :-)

Now your talking to the wrong guy about (good) year round fishing in the keys. Count the days you can, then count the days you cant
because of poor conditions brought about by the wind. But when its good it can be very good. Ive had friends come to visit,
and fish, and we never got to the reef (and fished) the whole time they were there. Theyed catch lots of pinfish and a few jacks from
my boat while tied to the dock at my house. Id say on average about 50% of the days during the winter months range from poor to intollerable
as for conditions. But hey cmon down the fishings great. At least it was yesterday lol.

Iowa Fox
12-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Kroil won't stop the rust. I also used breakfree on a rusty shotgun my brother gave me, it looked good for a day or two and then the rust wanted to come back. l've been using StongArm on stuff that I want to gently stop and remove rust and its been working good for me. I have kroil, breakfree, stongarm, tw25 and a bunch of others. They all have their place and each does the best for certain things.

bedlamite
01-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Kroil is not something I'd use to prevent rust. It's an excellent penetrating oil to loosen a stuck bolt, and it may be useful in combination with a brass brush to scrub out the rust you have, But it doesn't surprise me that leaving Kroil there would make it rust more.

If it's bad enough, phosphoric acid or naval jelly can remove it, but it will also remove any gun bluing and you will need cold blue to to bring it back. Otherwise I'd use your choice of solvent and a brass brush to remove rust. For rust prevention, here's a link I found a while back:

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Monkeymaster
01-11-2016, 10:14 PM
VERY useful information and also the link.
Thank you

earl39
01-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Kroil is not something I'd use to prevent rust. But it doesn't surprise me that leaving Kroil there would make it rust more.

Kroil may not stop or even prevent rust but i find it hard to believe it would cause/make something rust more.

bedlamite
01-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Initially it can get rid of the rust, but if you don't clean the residue out the pH of most solvents can start the reaction all over and you've got a bigger mess on your hands.

RHM
01-15-2016, 05:42 PM
I used to use Kroil, as recommended by a barrel maker, to keep a light coat in the bore after use, but no longer do. I prefer Eezox, when I can find it, or RemOil. I've seen a number of studies like the one I will post below, and they all come out slightly different, but Eezox and RemOil are always in the top five (some of these tests are 100+ products). With RemOil available at every place that sells firearms or firearm accessories, it's a good, inexpensive option that is easily found.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Rosco
01-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Froglube has always worked well for me!!