PDA

View Full Version : stevens to 338 edge???

BrettSass844
06-21-2010, 08:30 PM
possible to build a 338 edge from a stevens action? I am considering thisif possible. I am a savage guy but have never rebarreled or did a custom build off a action

geargrinder
06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes, you'll just need a small shank barrel and a magnum bolt head if it doesn't already have one.

Really good idea to upgrade stocks while your at it.

drybean
06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
i would add a ss comp trigger an recoil lug

tammons
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
+1 on the stock.
Durmax or other stock with an aluminum block should help.
That stock has an excellent recoil pad too.
Had one on a 375 ruger and 338-06 and it helps a lot.

Don't you need to swap out the firing pin when you go to a magnum head ??

BrettSass844
06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
So i would be looking at starting with a 300WM action??? Shilen match barrel would be nice on it, SSS trigger, SSS recoil lug, CDI bottom metal, couple extra AICS mags, i guess the stock could be anything from a choate tactical to a mcmillian or manners. Sounds like a winner to me. thoughts??? How is it handloading the 338 edge? What kind of performance should be expected from a rig like above???

sinman
06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Im going to have a 338 edge for sale in about a month or so if you want one already finished

geargrinder
06-21-2010, 11:08 PM
So i would be looking at starting with a 300WM action??? Shilen match barrel would be nice on it, SSS trigger, SSS recoil lug, CDI bottom metal, couple extra AICS mags, i guess the stock could be anything from a choate tactical to a mcmillian or manners. Sounds like a winner to me. thoughts??? How is it handloading the 338 edge? What kind of performance should be expected from a rig like above???

Forget the CDI bottom metal and AICS mags. They are only big enough for the 300win sized cases. Not big enough for a RUM based case.

You're right on track for everything else. A 300wm action will have the correct bolt head and firing pin.

When you get close to ordering the barrel, contact Sinman. He's done two 338 Edge barrels for me. Both of them are fantastic shooters.

I also had him thread them for one of Ross Schuler's brakes. They are similar to the Holland QD brake (3 baffles on each side and a row of small holes on the top). Great brake for $40.