PDA

View Full Version : Lots of barrel questions for 110 30-06 pre-accutrigger

Jordan Cercone
12-23-2015, 09:38 PM
I have a 110E in 30-06 which I've used since I was 12 to hunt with. As with anything I'm bored and I want to do something different. Id like to start shooting long range more and therefore put a heavier barrel on this gun. Suggestions on type of barrel? Should I just get a new savage and customize a new onin a different caliber? A benefit of the savage I thought was the ease of swapping barrels and customizing on a budget of sorts. This gun with me shooting will group MOA at 200 with a Nikon Buckmaster4-12. Im looking forward to a project but not sure if I should use this gun or buy a used one in a more "long distance friendly" caliber. I look forward to any suggestions.

darkker
12-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Well.... You left a lot open there, and it sounds like you are asking is, what you want; we can't say.

The 30-06 is more than capable for a long range cartridge.
Type of barrel? As in rifling method, or what are you asking?

Consider the money. You have a $300 rifle IN-HAND. Do you want to spend another $500 and have what you want. OR: Go buy a new $500 rifle, then still spend the same $500 to get what you want??
Just choices, what choice makes you happier?

Robinhood
12-23-2015, 11:05 PM
About shooting long range. That can get expensive unless you are careful where you spend your money. One route is to get the barrel chambered in the cartridge you want and use it with your current action. Upgrade your stock if you can. Learn reloading and only buy what you need to make quality ammo. If you want to go with a short action those are always available from 275 to 400 +. IF you like it you can spend the coin and get you something to your liking. The 6.5's and 6's are getting it done long range right now.

DrThunder88
12-24-2015, 05:47 AM
If you can shoot five-shot, minute of angle groups with your rifle, then it should be physically capable of shooting long range. The .30-06 has plenty of muscle, especially with heavier bullets, to get out to 1000 yards. As long as your scope is capable of dialing the elevation and windage (or holding over and off, but Buckmasters aren't really known for that), your current rig may be all you need to start building data. Of course, if you do rebarrel later on then your data would probably need to be rebuilt, but it's a way to start and an excuse to shoot more!

If I were starting from scratch with long range rigs, I'd probably go with a .308 Winchester 12FV from Cabelas, a Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP mil dot scope, an EGW 20MOA Picatinny rail, some medium height 30mm rings, and Vortex bubble level. It'd be a pretty competent, "just add ammo" rig for about $725 plus shipping and excluding sale prices.

yobuck
12-24-2015, 11:14 AM
The gun part as a rule is the easy part. First id be deciding if i had a place i could shoot long range.
Then id be using what you have to get started. First you will probably find the 06 isnt much fun to shoot due to recoil.
Little by little things will fall into place for you assuming your interest level stays up.

jordyc
12-24-2015, 08:23 PM
What about rebarreling to a 7mm mag? With the30-06 action wouldnt this just require a barrel swap? Everything else from the 06'action would stay the same.

devildogandboy
12-24-2015, 09:03 PM
What about rebarreling to a 7mm mag? With the30-06 action wouldnt this just require a barrel swap? Everything else from the 06'action would stay the same.

would also need a magnum bolt head and mag.

Bruce

jordyc
12-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Ok I get it. So going from 30-06 to say 270 would just need barrel? Mag and bolt head would stay the same...correct?

wbm
12-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Ok I get it. So going from 30-06 to say 270 would just need barrel? Mag and bolt head would stay the same...correct?

Yes.

psharon97
12-25-2015, 01:31 PM
A better option IMO instead of a 270, go with a 280 remington. You won't get quite the velocity of the 7mm rem mag, but you will get longer barrel life and have the option of shooting fantastically high BC 7mm bullets like the 180gr Berger Hybrid.

GaCop
12-27-2015, 03:16 PM
A better option IMO instead of a 270, go with a 280 remington. You won't get quite the velocity of the 7mm rem mag, but you will get longer barrel life and have the option of shooting fantastically high BC 7mm bullets like the 180gr Berger Hybrid. +1!:thumb: