PDA

View Full Version : Re-Barreling a Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP - What stock?

Pages : [1] 2

CaptainCottageCheese
12-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Hey all,

Been reading a lot and trying to figure out exactly what type of stock I need.

I'm replacing the stock .308 sporter profile barrel with a mcgowen 6.5 Creedmoor 'savage varmint' profile barrel. I'd like to replace the factory stock as well. With the change in barrel profile, would I need a stock designed for a model 12? Seems to fit most of the characteristics of the rifle. It's stagger fed with detachable box magazine and varmint profile barrel. That seems to be correct to me but I would like to be sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a stocks? I haven't made up my mind on what type of stock I'd like. I like the look of wood and am leaning towards a boyds classic, but my buddy keeps chatting my ear off about his bell & carlson.

Merry Christmas!

CottageCheese

shagerott
12-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi Captain.. Merry Christmas too!
I have the 11TH in 223 sporter, bottom bolt release. I found a 12FV stock so I could swap in a heavy bbl 204 ruger or varmint 223. Barrels fit fine but I have issues getting the plastic magazine to feed in the FV stock. Some trimming required but it won't sit high enough and the bolt slips over the next round.

I wonder if I should have purchased the Boyd's for varmint and bench work. Just sharing some experience with mine. YMMV though..

CaptainCottageCheese
12-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Appreciate the feedback! That certainly helps. Boyd's states that I'd need a metal floor plate if I wanted the magazine to work. Wonder if that's your problem as well? Assuming your factory stock was synthetic? Just speculating.

foxx
12-23-2015, 05:32 PM
I doubt yours is stagger feed, though. When you remove the stock, does the mag stay attached to the action or does it stay with / in the stock? Centerfeed will stay with the stock.

CaptainCottageCheese
12-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Ah. I figured since they are staggered in the magazine itself it was considered stagger feed. The more you know :)

foxx
12-23-2015, 07:58 PM
OK. THat's an important distinction, because the action screw spacing is different for CF and SF models. The magazine's are different too. So be sure when getting a stock and/or mags, you know which you have.

foxx
12-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Also, when buying stocks, my last or least concern is the barrel channel. If it is small and I want larger (varmint or bull barrel), it is easy to open it up myself by just taking a dowel wrapped in sand paper and open it up myself.

Twinsen
12-25-2015, 10:10 PM
If it's the one I am familiar with, it has normal 4.40" action screw spacing, but uses an Axis magazine and the bottom metal is plastic. Also the guts of the bolt are Axis bolt parts.

I tried to replace the stock and was unsuccessful. I wish you more luck in finding a suitable alternative.

Savage just keeps changing things and making it more difficult.

shagerott
12-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Twinsen.. my 11 TH is as you say. Axis DBM and firing pin Assy. I got the 12FV thinking it would match. 4.40 spacing is ok but DBM issues. That was why I was thinking Boyds would have been a better route for OP.

Twinsen
12-26-2015, 12:07 AM
I tried it on my Accustock, but there is a recoil lug compatibility issue there, so an Accustock take off was a no go.

I then spent $500+ on a Choate stock with CDI bottom metal from CDI. But the CDI bottom metal allowed so much slop that when the magazine was left to rest, the bolt cleared the top round with daylight between them. And if I pushed the magazine up, the bolt hit the rear of the magazine square. So that went back and the crooks over at CDI hit me with a huge restocking fee.

I believe whatever DBM setup Savage used for 223s before the Axis might be the best bet. Hopefully somebody here with such a legacy setup can point us in the right direction.

foxx
12-26-2015, 12:47 AM
Any Boyds S/A bottom bolt release with DBM. You will also need the traditional all metal DBM with metal frame and sprung mag release lever in the frame. (about $140 from the factory) Same as the FCNS or any S/A Accustock model. The area inside the stock where the bolt release lever runs will likely need to be relieved so it clears the wood easily. I have done a few of these TH's and FCNS's. My most recent one was a FCNS that I converted to 450BM for a buddy just this past week. They turn out just fine. The 450BM shoots .5 MOA with factory ammo out to 150 yards, so far. It was a Christmas present to his kid and they just shot it today for the first time.

devildogandboy
12-26-2015, 08:19 AM
look at the B&C tactical medalist over at Stocky's, they will have the right one for you.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-finder/savage/10-thru-16-centerfeed-4-40/heavy-varmint-barrel/detachable-box-magazine.html

Bruce

CaptainCottageCheese
01-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Went with a boyds with the bottom bolt release. Gonna grab the metal dbm and hope for the best. What is the purpose of the recoil lug? My inner sleuth tells me that it's got something to do with recoil energy distribution but that's about all I got...

foxx
01-12-2016, 12:06 PM
^^^ Your "inner sleauth" is right on. :)

It's what keeps the entire barrel and action from breaking off the stock and slamming you in the face due to the affects of recoil. Basic rule of physics and moving objects... "every force, action has an equal and opposite force, reaction..." or something like that. The action screws and the stock surrounding those relatively narrow screws aren't strong enough, on their own, to resist the force behind them when the rifle is fired.

Maxyim
01-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Hey guys,

I have a Savage 11 Long Range Hunter in .308, bottom bolt release, looking to replace the factory synthetic stock with something a bit nicer. My objective with this rifle is to shoot F Class and do long range hunting in the foreseeable future. My match instructor advised me to look for a laminate wood or fiberglass stock, however unfortunately the fiberglass options are a bit out of my price range, and the options in laminate wood for Savage that I have encountered so far seem to be incompatible with my bottom bolt release version.

As a result, I am also looking at the Boyds (this (https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-finder/savage/10-thru-16-centerfeed-4-40/heavy-varmint-barrel/detachable-box-magazine/bell-carlson-tactical-medalist-style-4-long-range-remington-700-short-action-1001-long-action-stock.html) one). Also found this (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43A254D1G203) just now. Curious as to what you guys would recommend (esp. if there is something that I am not considering).

foxx
01-14-2016, 01:58 PM
You said you are looking at two Boyds stocks, but one is Boyds, the other is B&C.

Both will work. B&C is superior due to aluminum bedding and rail.

The Boyds is inexpensive and a popular go-to for low cost tactical rigs. I have built quite a few off of it. Until recently, they were only about $125 shipped. Now closer to $160. I am not as big a fan at that price. Ideally, for long range shooting (400+ yards) it should be bedded, but can't say that for sure without trying it. Bedding is tedious, nerve racking (at times) and can be tough to do well your first time.

Maxyim
01-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Ah, my mistake, thanks. I do have a professional retained to do the bedding and floating of the barrel. With that in mind, would you recommend the Boyds, B&C or something else entirely? <$300 budget on stock.

foxx
01-14-2016, 03:36 PM
If that's your nudget, between the two, i would go B & C. I dont have enough exprience with other options to reccommend anything else.

tufrthnails
01-14-2016, 05:53 PM
The more I see these threads the more I think I got lucky. I have a 11THXP .270 with a boyds that I installed pillars and bedded with Foxx's advise and a lot of fretting. But I am running the Plastic DBM with the axis style mag. I had to nudge the mag catch a little but it feeds perfectly. Sometimes its better to be lucky then good:peace:!

CaptainCottageCheese
01-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Pillaring and bedding is next up for the project. That and sourcing the metal components for this beautiful boyds stock that I just have sitting around right now :)