PDA

View Full Version : Removing ejector retaining pin problems

MS50
12-21-2015, 11:22 PM
I attempted to remove the ejector retaining pin from the bolt head of my Mod12 action. I read Boots McGuires How- to on the subject. I watched several Youtube videos. I used the proper sized punch. I tried to move the pin from the small pin hole side to the side with the dimple. The pin moved on my side of the head, but did not move on the dimple side. Did the pin break? I only tapped the punch with a tack hammer. I switched to a cut allen wrench that fit the hole, but no movement of the pin on the opposite side of the bolt head. Anybody have any ideas on what may have happened? Where should I go from here?

minnesotamulisha
12-22-2015, 08:35 AM
For the pin, there is a through hole through the head of the bolt. One side has a recess milled into the bolt head for the head of the pin to reside in. The other side is just a hole. Insert the punch through the side without the recess and give it a few taps with a small hammer. Put a plastic bag over the bolt and stick the punch through the plastic bag and then into the hole. The bag will capture the spring and ejector pin if they fly out.

Also, when punching out the pin, I use a 2x4 and put the bolt on the 2x4 with the bolt head hanging off the end of it. This will give the pin clearance to come out. Otherwise, your pin may bottom out on the surface under the bolt and you could bend it. Ask me how I know!

BillPa
12-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Just a thought but it could be the punch, not the pin. The retaining pins measure ~.061" which have a slight interference fit in the bolthead. As a result a 1/16"-.062" punch might be a bit over to pass through. I polished one punch to .058" not only to remove the pins but act as a slave to reinstall them.

Bill

fgw_in_fla
12-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Just a thought but it could be the punch, not the pin. The retaining pins measure ~.061" which have a slight interference fit in the bolthead. As a result a 1/16"-.062" punch might be a bit over to pass through. I polished one punch to .058" not only to remove the pins but act as a slave to reinstall them.

Bill

That's what I did also. I have a punch that will follow the ejector pin all the way thru. After the pin is out, I can slowly pull the punch out without launching the ejector into the next county.
Sometimes, just sometimes it takes a stout smack and the appropriate swear word to get them out.
I had an old pawn shop .270 that I rebuilt the bolt head. I invented 2 new curse words getting the old pin out.

Make sure your alignment is good...

MS50
12-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Yes I used a 1/16" Wheeler punch to start. This is an unfired/new bolt. I wanted to remove the ejector and extractor to headspace a new barrel. The dimple end of the retaining pin appears to be peaned. For comparison, I tapped the pin out of the bolt head of my Mod10 with one tap. I think I'm going to cut my losses on this bolt head. I'm digging but think I've hit a boulder. Thanks for the feedback.