PDA

View Full Version : Snail Mags

Medic_01
09-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Do you think that something like this
http://www.savage-rifles.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=44730
could be grafteted to the bolt action savage ?

or even say M16 or AR mags ?

anyone done this ?

sinman
09-20-2009, 02:14 AM
im working on a new bottom metal to use ar mags

outlawkyote
09-20-2009, 02:31 AM
I think the question is, "why"?

Your rifle will be too hot to shoot after only 5-10 shots.... "One shot one kill" After that, you can pick up ammo off the ground.

sinman
09-20-2009, 02:41 AM
thats why you need the watercooled rifle

outlawkyote
09-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Then the question is, who's going to pack it? Water, extra large mags, pumps, battery, fans,etc,etc............... Thats a 20lb rifle and still a bolt action. Why not just pick up an AK47 for 150 bucks to satisfy your spray and pray desires?

outlawkyote
09-20-2009, 05:22 AM
OK, I need to put myself in check here. I beleive in "different strokes for different folks".

Heres my thinking though.
At the present time, Im in the process of building a dedicated prairie dog rifle. After years of shooting the lil buggers Im all to familiar with the fast paced action that regularly goes on. All things being equal, I'll explain why Im going with a single shot action with this new rifle.
All things being equal; meaning both rifles having the same cooling qualities; will the guy with an extended magazine outshoot the guy with a single shot action?
Two guys setting at a bench shooting at prairie dogs (lets assume the targets are unlimited in quantity) will the guy picking each shell out of the ammo can shoot less shells than the guy who has to stop and reload a 50 round clip every 10 minutes?

Now if the guy with the clip assembly had 20 clips on hand and spends a week in advance loading them, sure, he'd have the advantage.

In the long run, after an hour or two of shooting, I beleive both men would send the same amount of ammo downrange reguardless of having a single shot action or a high capacity magazine assembly?
Am I right?
Therefore, I deduce..... different strokes for different folks is the only reason for having extream magazine count clips for a bolt action rifle.

I spose thats alright.... It looks cool ;)

shelbyfan
09-20-2009, 05:33 AM
You can always buy a new barrel. I would say a very high capacity magazine would be very handy. Get two 200 round mags for it and you won't have to reload the rest of the day. You could spend your down time napping or reloading and not loading mags.

outlawkyote
09-20-2009, 05:47 AM
You can always buy a new barrel. I would say a very high capacity magazine would be very handy. Get two 200 round mags for it and you won't have to reload the rest of the day. You could spend your down time napping or reloading and not loading mags.

You can make it a whole day on 400 rounds....LOL... not in the PD towns Ive been to.

Eric in NC
09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
The answer to everyone's need is multiple rifles! 10/22 for close in or relaxed fun, scoped ar for rapid fire fun, and a nice savage for longer range fun. this way you can switch out rifles when one gets too hot (esp. if you have more than one battery of guns!).

Balljoint
09-20-2009, 11:08 AM
The pictured snail mag. already fits the AR 15, never seen the pictured mag in any news stories about the military

phirebug
09-20-2009, 01:17 PM
is there a way to make it belt-fed?

Medic_01
09-21-2009, 12:53 AM
The answer to everyone's need is multiple rifles! 10/22 for close in or relaxed fun, scoped ar for rapid fire fun, and a nice savage for longer range fun. this way you can switch out rifles when one gets too hot (esp. if you have more than one battery of guns!).

if only i could.
10/22's AR's and other rapid fire fun are illegal in my country.
:(

Agueybana
09-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I just make my new hunting rifle single shot. With a savage thats all I need.

Medic_01
11-28-2009, 06:23 PM
im working on a new bottom metal to use ar mags

how's this coming along ?