PDA

View Full Version : Axis and bipods.

birdmove
12-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Thinking of getting an Axis. Here, we have no outdoor ranges, so I would have to go onto legal hunting land, with a hunting license (though I'm not a hunter), and a caliber that is legal for whatever game is in season, and set up in a safe spot to shoot. And, wear an orange vest. Then I may be okay.
So, I'll have to make a portable target stand. I'm thinking about, instead of having to also take a table and small shooting rest, trying to simplify things by attaching a bi-pod, laying on the ground. I'm wondering if a bi-pod presents problems when using one? I've never used one, so thought I should ask. I read somewhere that a person said a bi-pod might enough pressure against the barrel to cause a bit of a point of impact change.
Just trying to do my homework. Thanks for any comments.

Jon in Keaau

fgw_in_fla
12-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Bipods are fun. All I use are bipods unless the situation warrants something else - like the side of the truck bed, tree branch, etc.

The Axis has the Flex-O-Matic plastic stock & you may find the stock will flex enough to press against the barrel causing a little bit of disturbance with barrel harmonics.

One of the reasons why so many of us added a little reinforcement to the fore end of the stock or saved our nickels & dimes and bought a Boyds.

Beyond that, have at it and shoot safely.

PS - I don't know if you have access to the tech pages but there's some good info in there about Axis mods. Click on "HOME" and "articles" and look around.

Rosco
12-21-2015, 06:43 PM
They can if not used or attached properly. Personally I use a Harris BRMS 6-9' attached to the sling swivel stud and when used in a prone where I can position the bipod and dig it in correctly I don't believe it presents a problem at all.

On the other hand if you were shooting off a steel table per se with no support it could cause you're gun to jump around a little bit and more than likely affect your point of impact.

If you properly free float your barrel in the Axis stock and have a bipod that attachs to the sling swivel stud and not the barrel then I don't see it affecting the harmonics at all.

fgw_in_fla
12-21-2015, 07:03 PM
If you shoot free recoil there usually isn't a problem with flex. If you load the bipod a little, it will flex the stock.

In most cases it doesn't present a problem. Depends on your shooting style / habits, I reckon.

Ps - Roscoe P. Coltrain, how you doing my brother in arms?

birdmove
12-21-2015, 07:25 PM
I love this forum. Gotta see if there is a .22 long rifle section, so I can talk about my pump action octagon barrel, takedown Savage made in the 1930's.

J.Baker
12-22-2015, 08:59 AM
I love this forum. Gotta see if there is a .22 long rifle section, so I can talk about my pump action octagon barrel, takedown Savage made in the 1930's.

You're looking for the Vintage Savage Rimfires board in the Vintage section. ;)

Russ77
12-27-2015, 09:31 PM
I use a cheap eBay $20 bipod and it works good for me
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/27/a0784fb576b42e1ba24280f3a038e014.jpg