PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Savage 219 25-20

Strlsknght
12-21-2015, 12:26 AM
Hello, I just acquired a Savage 219 25-20 and I'm looking for information. I have no experience with this type of ammunition or rifle.

Is there anything special required for the maintenance of this rifle? Is the ammunition easily available or even relevant now?

I've tried doing several searches for the 219 as topics in these forums and haven't found much of anything. Any information you can give me or direct me to would be much appreciated.

Mad Dog
12-21-2015, 03:15 PM
What type of info are you looking for?

The 219 in 25-20 is a very rare caliber in that model to come across. It will draw a premium price as well. I own one in 25-20 myself. Ammo up here in Canada runs me around $60 a box of 50. It always seems to me that some parts of the U.S. seem to have plenty of 25-20 and others seem to have none. Not real sure why this is. I'd try your local gunshops and if you can't find any there try a bigger store like Cabela's and order some online.

No special maintenance aside from what you would keep up with on any other firearm you own. Light oiling on the metal and maybe some Old West Snake Oil on the furniture once a year.

Strlsknght
12-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Thank you. I'm more versed in bolt and pump action (and taking things waaaay to far apart to clean)

I've read that the barrel is interchangeable with the 220 line, but I'm baffled as to how the gun comes apart. I cannot find instructions anywhere. I'm also not sure if it's a 219b? I'm clueless.

Strlsknght
12-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Good god! $49.95 for 20?!

Mad Dog
12-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Ya, it's up there in the price dept, I know a guy that shoots 25-20 a lot but he reloads.

Pretty easy to take it down. Set the buttstock between your feet, with the forearm facing away from you grab the top half of it and pull it away from you, should just pop off. Then open the action and slide the barrel off the hinge pin.

PetahW
04-28-2016, 11:02 PM
I've read that the barrel is interchangeable with the 220 line, but I'm baffled as to how the gun comes apart.

I cannot find instructions anywhere.

I'm also not sure if it's a 219b?

If the side of the action is stamped "Model 219", then it's an early Model 219; Model 219-B's are so stamped (219-B).

Regarding Model 219/220 barrel interchangeability, there are different versions, and all barrels are NOT interchangeable.

There are Model 219's, 219B's 219C's & 219L's - all have side-swing top opening levers; the "L" models have the opening lever on the side of the receiver.

The Model 220 has a similar, but non-identical (model letters) progression of improved models.

The earliest 219's & 220's were striker-fired, and were re-cocked by the opening action of the top lever, which incidentally released the barrel lock so the barrel could be swung open, and the shell ejector tripped off.

Any early or later 219/219B/219C/219L/220 rifle or shotgun barrel will fit and operate just fine in the early 219/220 guns.

Then, Savage changed the internal design, from a striker to a concealed hammer - which the operation of the top lever no longer was able to re-cock.

Soooo, on all subsequent models, there is a cocking lever inside the front of the action body, which lies alongside the barrel's locking lug when the gun is closed, or in the firing position.

The cocking lever/arm is raised, re-cocking the gun, only when the barrel is swung open (not by the top lever opening) - by a spring-loaded stud located in the side of the later model's barrel's locking lug(s).

These guns are the 219B/219C/219L, and later 220's.

These later guns ergo require also a later barrel, WITH the cocking lug - which is absent on earlier barrels.

The early, no-cocking lug barrels will not re-cock the later guns - burdensome, to say the least.

The easiest way to check YOUR gun, is to remove the barrel and peek inside the right side action wall, to see if it has a cocking lever there.

If it has a cocking lever, the gun needs a barrel with a cocking stud.
If it has no cocking lever, the gun can use any barrel.

The model 219's were chambered in .22 Hornet, .25-20WCF, .32-20WCF, & .30-30WIN - all with 26" bbls.

The Model 220's were chambered in .410, 28ga, 20ga, 16ga, & 12ga - with 26" - 32" barrels.

Within the barrel interchange limits, defined above, any 219 or 220 in good/serviceable condition should be safe with any other 219 or 220 barrel in good/serviceable condition.