PDA

View Full Version : Full Length Bolt Fluting

BigBlueandGoldie
12-20-2015, 06:25 PM
I hate to start the 2,548,992 thread on bolt fluting, but does anyone know of who provides full length fluting services? For example, the PTG bolt body fluting goes all the way past the bolt head retaining pin, whereas most stop short of this pin. I know SSS goes full length, but I'm looking for a more conventional spiral pattern.

FWIW, this is a single shot target action and I'm under no grand illusion that fluting provides any added performance benefits; I'm strictly going for eye candy.

Robinhood
12-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Some bolt fluting will cause issues with cycling. There is a guy on accurate shooter that does them and I have seen ads on Ebay.

BigBlueandGoldie
12-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Some bolt fluting will cause issues with cycling. There is a guy on accurate shooter that does them and I have seen ads on Ebay.

I've seen the guy on Accurate Shooter, but his fluting stops shy of the retaining pin. Great pricing though.

If full length fluting caused cycling issues, I'm sure we would be hearing about it from the PTG bolts. On AICS mag fed rifles I'm not a fan, although I have a Lawton action that came fluted.

Robinhood
12-20-2015, 07:36 PM
I'm sure we would be hearing about it from the PTG bolts

That is how I know. If I remember correctly the stopped doing certain shapes of fluting for that reason. That is why I believe Fred does the fluting he does. His bolt bodies are smooth cycling just like non fluted...Just my opinion.

Spectre236
12-20-2015, 08:12 PM
That is how I know. If I remember correctly the stopped doing certain shapes of fluting for that reason. That is why I believe Fred does the fluting he does. His bolt bodies are smooth cycling just like non fluted...Just my opinion.

++1