PDA

View Full Version : New stevens 200 owner... now what...

Finn1
06-21-2010, 05:05 AM
Hi to all,

To start off, I am from Finland, the land of Sako and Tikka rifles. I have mainly been hunting rabbits and fox with shotgun, but lately especially the foxes have been keeping a good distance to me? Seems they get an advanced warning everytime I break out the shotgun. Closest sighting this spring has been maybe 150 meters out... bit far for a shotgun.
So, I decided to get me a rifle to get them foxes. Was looking for a cheap allround gun, and stumbled across Savage Stevens 200 package with Shirstone 3-9x40 in .308. A good allround caliber for all hunting in Finland. Topped that with a versapod bipod, and voila... beware foxes.

I decided against Tikka and sako, mainly because of the absurd pricing. Besides everyone has either one or the other here :) Also remington 700 series is really popular... but haven't really seen Savages around, and since I've allways wanted to be a bit different, went for it.

Taking this baby out to track for sighting on wednesday. Any special things to check/do/know about this thing? Tricks and tweaks for stevens 200, let me know!

Planning to build it up a bit later on... new stock, maybe new trigger, depending how it feels etc.

Thanks in advance, seems to be a good site!

GaCop
06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Welcome to the Forums. A wealth of knowledge here. In order to access the classifieds or any of the technical articles you will have to be a paid member which is $12 USD/year. I realize this could be a problem with you in Finland.

Shoot the rifle to see how accurate it is before deciding on any upgrades/changes. Good quality ammunition is a must for testing. You will discover that the factory stock has a lot of flex in the forearm when using the bipod which could affect your accuracy. The factory trigger is not adjustable and is pretty heavy, something that will probably be high on your list of changes. The rifle should be capable of grouping into an inch at 100 meters. I'm not at all familiar with the "Shirstone" scope so cannot comment on its performance.

Keep us posted on your initial shooting results.

right turn Clyde
06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. I have owned a couple of your Sako rifles and they are very fine firearms but like you said they are expensive.
The factory trigger on my Stevens 200 is adjustable. I was able to adjust it down to 3.25lbs. If you want a better trigger the Sharp Shooter Competition Trigger is a very good trigger. I installed one and mine is set at a crisp 1.75lbs. You may want to check out www.stockysstocks.com if your interested in a new stock. Keep us posted.

ellobo
06-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Check out Boyds website for inexpensive laminate or walnut stocks. In my opinion the competition trigger isnt a good trigger at a low setting on a hunting rifle, especially in the Finnish winters with cold fingers. I suggest a 3 lb. trigger would suit you just fine. My opinions of course. One thing, make sure your barrel does not touch the stock, it should be free floated. Also the tang should be free floated. They arnt always on a factory stock. Plus, until the barrel wears in you may see a lot of copper fouling, so look for it.

El Lobo

Finn1
06-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Finally got to try my new rifle today... and seems like a sweet little thing! Bit picky about ammo, but other than that very good 1st impression!

I went back to the shop, and changed the scope to a little better 4-12x40 Shirstone. Much better and brighter than the one that originally came with the package.
Started out sighting the scope to 25 meters (27 yards) with some surplus army 7,62x51 NATO rounds. Once I was happy with that, moved the target to 100 meters (~109 yards).
At this distance the military ammo was all over the place??? I though I cannot be that bad, so took a box Norma jaktmatch 9,7 gram (150gr) ammo... and voila. 1st 3 shot group was bit low and right, but all 3 holes touching eachother. 2nd group was just perfect, lil below 10 in the center and also touching each other. Very nice! Also happy to find so fast at least 1 ammo that works well with it. 5 shot rounds were also very tight. One thing I noticed, is that the barrel heats up real quick. Opening the bolt, and letting it cool min. 30 seconds between shots helped to keep the groups together.

Also took my other new purchase, Glock 19 Pro to the range. Another purchase I am very happy with :P Waited 4 months to get this thing!

Will put up some photos... as soon as I figure how this board works :)

Finn1
06-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Oukkei, photos:

My setup, Savage Stevens m200 in .308, Shirstone 4-12x40 scope, versapod bipod and Uncle Mikes... thingy... for the rounds in the buttstock.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4088/24062010001.th.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/24062010001.jpg/)

1st and 2nd 3 shot group with Norma rounds from 100 meters (109 yards).

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1527/24062010003x.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/i/24062010003x.jpg/)

My Glock

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9373/24062010008.th.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/i/24062010008.jpg/)

drybean
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
looks great wait untill you reload you will be surprised
drybean

ellobo
06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
If you can get some premium 168 gr. bullets try those as well. And by the way, congratulaions on Finland rejecting a ban on semi-auto rifles. (think I got that right). If not right, please correct me.

El Lobo

Finn1
06-25-2010, 10:00 AM
If you can get some premium 168 gr. bullets try those as well. And by the way, congratulaions on Finland rejecting a ban on semi-auto rifles. (think I got that right). If not right, please correct me.

El Lobo

Yea, thanks! It took a lot of work and lobbying from many shooting/hunting organisations. It would've seriously crippled the possibility to practise several actipon shooting sports. Also banning them from hunting was without any real basis. Quick second shot saves unecessary suffering in many cases, not increase it. Those looking to get the ban, were basing it on semi-autos having "unecessarily large firepower" and that they are not needed in any situations... oh well. I been doing Practical shooting since 1991, and not planning to quit any time soon. Total ban on semi-autos and pistols would've stopped that hobby effectively. So, at least something positive.

usmc_mwroseberry
06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
i highly recommend a bell and carlson stock. running my medalist, using a supersniper scope and making my own hand loads lets me shoot the same barrel and action you have out to 900 yards. my 308 also likes 168gr. sierras. try running 168gr smks. if federal match ammo is available to you get ahold of some and your groups should get much tighter.

good luck,
merritt

borg
06-26-2010, 02:18 PM
We Americans agree to continue exporting incredibly accurate yet extremely affordable rifles to Nordic countries in exchange for a steady influx of gorgeous immigrant women.