PDA

View Full Version : Model 111 magazine differences between synthetic and wood stocks?

big honkin jeep
12-19-2015, 10:54 PM
I am looking for a centerfeed long action magazine for a newer synthetic stocked model 111FYCAK in .270
the Savage parts finder says the Savage part number is 55117
I have found several magazines that say they fit the 111GC (wood stocked version) but they have a different Savage part number. 55114
Will they fit correctly?

foxx
12-20-2015, 12:27 AM
I don't know why that would be. As long as its the same cartridge, there are only 2 basic models: "Axis " style and the better, all metal with the metal frame and sprung lever/catch.

big honkin jeep
12-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Yeah I couldn't tell why the heck they would have different part numbers unless there was a difference in them.
I found one with the part number that matched what the part finder said it came with on the big auction site so I went ahead and ordered it..
I know sometimes there is a slight difference in the action screws between wood and synthetic stocks and was wondering if there may be slight dimensional differences in the mags?
I'd still like to know what, if anything the difference between a #55117 and a #55114 is.
It's supposed to be so simple :)

foxx
12-22-2015, 12:14 AM
I wonder if some of the "better" non-Axis style come with a plastic bottom rather than metal?

J.Baker
12-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Long as they're for the same cartridge I don't see why there would be a difference.

J.Baker
12-22-2015, 07:40 AM
I wonder if some of the "better" non-Axis style come with a plastic bottom rather than metal?

Nope, not yet - but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start in the not-too-distant future as it's yet another way for them to cheapen up their product to increase their profit margins.

big honkin jeep
12-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Ok so I gave Savage a call and apparently the 55114 is a high luster blue which is "obsolete" (what I needed to match the rifle)
and the 55117 that I ordered because that's what the parts finder showed is the "newer part" which has a matte finish. The customer service person explained it that the newer part number is in the parts finder by default, and just as most of us suspected, either will work. I sure wish I had called first because the rifle it's going in is a high luster blued model.
I thought I had done my due diligence by checking their parts finder to get the exact one that matched the original rifle by serial number.
Darn it.
At least we'll be able to hunt the Alabama Rut in the next couple of weeks

A little background. My buddys door was kicked in right before Christmas this year when no one was home. Thank goodness all his guns except his carry which was on his hip were locked in his safe. His Savage hunting rifle magazine happened to be sitting on his workbench. Though they looked inside several military ammo cans sitting around his shop containing other magazines that I would suspect to be much more common and desirable, They decided to take his bottom button release long action Savage mag. The burglars didn't take much but sure made a mess and took the familys piece of mind. Pretty sure it was teens or dopers because small electronics and costume jewelry were missing and nice tools and other expensive items were left.

If you don't have a safe get one. It could have been much worse

sharpshooter
12-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Nope, not yet - but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start in the not-too-distant future as it's yet another way for them to cheapen up their product to increase their profit margins.
They have already.......they used them on the lightweight hunters. It's just the Axis mag with the tab cut off.