PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 in .223 Rem to 260 Rem Conversion

Thunger
06-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I've searched quite a bit on here but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm converting a model 10 in .223 to a 260 Rem. and would like to know what needs to be done so that I can still use the blind magazine. The rifle is a recent model and it has an Accutrigger.I've already changed the bolt head so that's all good. The blind magazine I have, I believe, is the stagger feed because it is attached to the receiver. I figured If I just buy a new follower that it would solve the problem and that wasn't the case because it wouldn't fit inside the mag box. So I'm wondering if a larger mag box would solve the problem. Also, I thought that I read somewhere about having to change the forward baffle on the bolt so that the bolt can move back far enough to catch the rear of the cartridge. If anyone can help me out with part numbers or information it would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fidelis

rjtfroggy
06-21-2010, 06:48 AM
You need a 308 mag.& follower along with the .473 bolt head and baffle. If they are in stock at Midway you can get an entire bolt for around $100,they also sell the mag. and follower.

GabbyM
06-27-2010, 06:49 PM
You may also want to take a look at the 6.5mm Creedmore. It allows the use of long VLD bullets in the magazines plus it's less of an over bore case. I'm not sure how the 260 REM fits in a Savage but am thinking you would run out of mag length with 142 grain match bullets. If you even have any interest in the long bullets.