View Full Version : Homemade saddle

sniperjhk
12-19-2015, 02:11 PM
I made this.
What do you think?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/10d4eb7c7091eaf83df00f3ba9f135c7.jpg

Robinhood
12-19-2015, 03:48 PM
I think you did great! Gotta love A DIY guy.

sharpshooter
12-20-2015, 01:08 AM
What's it for????

sniperjhk
12-20-2015, 01:32 AM
For rifle rest.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/03/26/shooting-rest-hog-saddle-review/

sharpshooter
12-20-2015, 10:50 PM
I've shot off of those type rests.....they are no better than the tripod that supports them. You could always use it to hold a box of ammo.;)

GaCop
01-13-2016, 09:42 AM
That's some nice metal work there. :thumb:

upSLIDEdown
01-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Well done. What do I think? I think you need to make me one... lol

As for those types of rests, they're GREAT for hunting. I have a couple friends that do a LOT of predator hunting and they both swear by them.

yobuck
01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
I've shot off of those type rests.....they are no better than the tripod that supports them. You could always use it to hold a box of ammo.;)

Now Fred, be nice even though it might be hard. lol
I do think the guy did a very nice job on it. But i also agree on the tripod part.
As a rule these type devices help for one shot. But then require realigning everything up again
for more shots due to the recoil. And the more recoil involved the worse it gets
assuming the rifle is clamped in as the design calls for. Hog saddle is a brand name and pig saddle
is another from the same company. Triclawps is very similar product by a different company.
Allowing for movement or sliding of the gun during recoil will help control violent movement.
But that also removes some of the solid hold aspects of the device. And used in that maner it might not
perform any better than shooting sticks. But i suppose results might vary.
It should also be noted that to a large degree, the tripod head and design type, will affect overall satisfaction with the results.
Meaning its possible to go from bad to worse.

sharpshooter
01-15-2016, 01:00 AM
I'd just as soon fire off the shooting sticks.....they're not complicated;). But I have shot prairie dogs from one of these, and I was impressed. The hog saddle won't hold a candle to this:

http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/images/home-prod-tripod.jpg

yobuck
01-15-2016, 12:58 PM
I'd just as soon fire off the shooting sticks.....they're not complicated;). But I have shot prairie dogs from one of these, and I was impressed. The hog saddle won't hold a candle to this:

http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/images/home-prod-tripod.jpg

The Lone Star tripod system you posted is an excellant product. We have one we use. Pricey, but as good a tripod system as you will find.
The Ultimate Tripod system made by Mcfadden machine co in PA, is also an excellant product and we have one of those also.
That one is more reasonable than the Lone Star. But still in the $350/400 range depending what you get as for the rests. There will still be (some)
scope movement with both of those rest. In other words they are not as rock solid as a good bench or a good prone/bipod position would be for precise shooting.
But for hunting long ranges out to 7 or 800 yds and farther,they are definatly an asset to have. It dosent get easier as for setup, and regardless of the direction an animal runs you can stay right on him.
Which isnt always possible from a bench or prone.
I think how we shoot is equally as important, and can be even more so than what we shoot for hunting.

sharpshooter
01-15-2016, 06:59 PM
I ended up copying the lone star rest with a few mods. For the tripod I used 1/2 and 3/4" black iron pipe for telescopic legs. It is very stiff and sturdy, but yet also heavy.
I actually use it more in the shop to level and boresight scopes.

yobuck
01-16-2016, 11:35 AM
I ended up copying the lone star rest with a few mods. For the tripod I used 1/2 and 3/4" black iron pipe for telescopic legs. It is very stiff and sturdy, but yet also heavy.
I actually use it more in the shop to level and boresight scopes.

There you go, you used the original then figured out a way to improve it.
The Lone Star we use belongs to a hunting buddy and he didnt buy their tripod.
just the top part and adapted that to a good military tripod. I modified the hell out of
the Ultimate Tripod and frankly couldnt improve on it. It works well, but better for guns 15# and under
than it does for 20# guns, and not good at all for heavier ones due to the balance mechanism.
I think the Lone Star is better for heavier guns due to their design.
Its not easy fitting both a tripod and a bench in a jeep even though they both break down.
This summer a big military tripod showed up on my porch the likes of which i hadnt seen before.
It has a top on it 12" across, has adjustable very solid legs and weighs about 20#. So after staring at
that thing for about 2 weeks i had the plan worked out for the top part. A local fabricating shop,
and a machinist i know put it all together for me. Its awsome, every bit as solid as my bench which
now stays home. The top rotates 360 deg, is removable, and can be modified in about a minit to be set up
for sandbags or my return to battery front rest. I use a torpedo level on the top when setting it up so there is
no cant in the gun regardless which way you turn the top. The machinist i used was also a hunter/shooter, and
years back he had devised a setup for elevating/lowering the gun by using a chain and sprocket setup rather than a ships wheel type arraingment.
Its much quicker and easier especially for hunting. So we used that setup also on this project which affected the top size/shape somewhat.
But i still use the rear bag for fine tuning. I can also lock the top from moving and adjust horizontaly with the rear bag for at least 50' in both directions.
Problem is ive been ordered to have at least one more for this coming season. And i havent received any deposit money. LOL