PDA

View Full Version : 223 Barrel & Bolt question

latisimusd
06-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I sold my Remington tube rifle recently and have found I miss practicing with the 223. I have a Savage 308 Dual Port F-Class rifle. Currently have a 308 & 6BR barrels, head space gauges and swap them depending on what range I'm shooting (600yd 6BR 1000yd 308 FTR).
Just looking for some opinions on what is the best approach to the 223 barrel 1x8 or 1x9, have lots of 80gr SMK & AMAXs.
Most importantly, better to have a 223 specific bolt vs the bolt head?
I know Midway has the 223 bolt assembly - extractor

Thoughts & opinions - please

Thanks in advance

dcloco
06-20-2010, 11:45 PM
For ease of swapping, yes, a complete bolthead for 223 would be great. Remove complete bolt, unlock barrel nut, remove barrel, ...and headspace next barrel, bolt assy, etc...set the headspace....and you are done.

GaCop
06-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Concerning twist rate, I would suggest the 1/8 twist if you want to shoot the 80 grain bullets. I'm currently shooting a Shilen select match, stainless steel, 26" 1/8 and have very good results with the 80 gr SMKs and A-Max.

Dirk
06-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Go for the 1/8 twist barrel for the 80 grain bullets. It will also shoot the lighter bullets, like 69 gr., perfectly.

latisimusd
06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Sounds like the complete is the way to go.
1x8 for heavier bullets
GaCop did you get your barrel from Northland Shooters Supply or direct from Shilen?

750k2
06-21-2010, 09:31 AM
I've also decided to got the complete bolt route but in reverse order.
Have .223 and need a .473.
Waiting to here back from SSS now.
I fear it'll be a long wait from what I've been reading.
Might have to give up on the fluted body I was planning on.
update if you order your parts with details please.

drybean
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
northland great service

sharpshooter
06-22-2010, 02:29 AM
You are better off just changing bolt heads, it only takes 2 minutes and the tolerance on bolt heads are alot closer than trying to fit a complete bolt to a receiver. Bolt assemblies are hand fit at the factory before the barrels are installed. You will find that a bolt from one rifle may not fit correctly in another because of tolerance of all the individule parts stack up to put it out of spec.

GaCop
06-22-2010, 05:34 AM
+1 on what "Dirk" says. I ordered my barrel from Northlander,it was in stock so no long wait.

hillcharger5
06-26-2010, 06:33 PM
I have not had much luck with the faster twist 223 barrel's. Most of my 223 time I am shooting an Encore with EBCO 1-12 barrel, great shooter. Last fall I replace my 1-9 Savage barrel which never shot well, with a 1-12 Shilen, this was a great move. This barrel shoots cloverleaf's all day :).

Even though a lot of folks are suspect of the slow twist, I enjoy great success with them, especially with lighter VMax's

Good luck

Dirk
06-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Of course a 1-12 twist will handle the lighter bullets but it doesn't shoot the longer, heavier ones worth a darn. Everybody knows that.

Frosty
06-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Dirk, As a newby I didn't know there's a difference. Does that mean, the lighter the bullet the less twist you need? Thanks.

Dirk
06-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, in a way. The twist required actually is dependent on the length of the bullet. A longer bullet is going to be heavier than a lighter bullet and will require a faster spin to stabilize it.

EFBell
06-27-2010, 09:06 PM
A longer bullet is going to be heavier than a lighter bullet and will require a faster spin to stabilize it.

Dirk, I assume you mean to say a longer bullet is going to be heavier than a shorter bullet? Well, Duhh! Of course you also meant to say for a givin caliber and similar bullet construction too. But we will all look the other way on that because we all know what you meant to say.

latisimusd
06-27-2010, 09:06 PM
You are better off just changing bolt heads, it only takes 2 minutes and the tolerance on bolt heads are alot closer than trying to fit a complete bolt to a receiver. Bolt assemblies are hand fit at the factory before the barrels are installed. You will find that a bolt from one rifle may not fit correctly in another because of tolerance of all the individule parts stack up to put it out of spec.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bolt head swap vs. complete assembly. I did not consider the matching bolt/receiver assemblies. You have them (223 bolt heads) in stock?
Appreciate your professional feedback.

750k2
06-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I've decided to still go the complete route.
Maybe I'll have to do some fitting but I don't think so lookin
at my bolts fit now - Lap lugs or maybe timed at the most maybe.
I don't think Savage hand fits bolts.
I post back here after the 2nd when the new one from Midway arrives.
93 bucks minus the extractor and ejector.
I've pi**ed away alot more on foolishness before ;D

Dirk
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
A longer bullet is going to be heavier than a shorter bullet and will require a faster spin to stabilize it.

Dirk, I assume you mean to say a longer bullet is going to be heavier than a shorter bullet? Well, Duhh! Of course you also meant to say for a givin caliber and similar bullet construction too. But we will all look the other way on that because we all know what you meant to say.

Do not ASSUME you think you know what I was meaning to say. We were talking about a .223 Remington in this whole thread, so the statement is obvious to the most casual observer. ;)

EFBell
06-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Point taken as I'm sure it is the same on both ends. ;)

poncaguy
07-03-2010, 08:26 PM
My AR has a 1x7 twist, works good on 40's, better of course 60's on up..........