PDA

View Full Version : McGowen barrel for my Model 12 F T/R

AbitNutz
12-18-2015, 01:22 PM
I decided to use my 308 Model 12 F T/R and do a switch barrel for a cartridge I've wanted to play with for a while.

Midway decided to do a house cleaning on 220 Swift reloading paraphernalia so I picked up an RCBS gold medal seating die, (the one with the bullet window), neck and full length resizing dies, trim die and an RCBS MIC set for quite a bit off. I waffled a bit on the neck sizer die as I usually use Redding neck sizers and I wouldn't be able to interchange the bushings.

I ordered a McGowen 30" stainless barrel, large shank, .224, 5-groove, 7.7 twist, 11 muzzle degree crown with a Savage bull barrel profile that is .990 at the muzzle. This is just continuation of the stock Savage contour which at 26"'s ends up at 1.000"...if you make it 4 inches longer it ends up at .990. The 15% off sale they just had got me. I have to say the the stock barrel isn't nearly as nicely finished as the other McGowen barreled rifle I have. I hope this new barrel comes in as sweet as my last one.

I also ordered a Barrel nut and recoil lug from NSS and an Ejector/Extractor kit and Picitinny scope mount from SSS. I added a PTG bolt head to the pile as well. The bolt head wasn't necessary as the 220 Swift and the 308 share the same size.

I can't believe how nice the Savage Target Accu-trigger is. It's the best I have ever had a finger on. I'm not touching it...

I've topped it off with a Leupold VX-3 25x40 Competition scope that was an open box from Optics Planet plus a 10% off code. The cheapest I've ever seen one of these scopes was around $650.00. This one came in at $503.00. It's as new...I can't see a mark on it.

It will be spring before the new barrel arrives...*sigh*.

Front Royalty
12-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Sounds like fun! :)

And we all know that is NOT allowed.

WinnieTheBoom
12-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Niceeeeee. Let us know how she shoots :thumb:

LongRange
12-18-2015, 03:21 PM
be careful what you shoot with that 220 swift...i know someone that shoots one and at 330yds it takes chunks outta my 1/2" AR500 plate targets LOL!

AbitNutz
12-18-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm eager to see what the velocity is for a 220 Swift in a 30 inch barrel. Of course. I won't be able to do that till the Lab Radar units are back in stoc...around flippin' February!

Stickler
12-19-2015, 11:38 AM
My dad shot that caliber out of a re-barreled Husqvarna action YEARS ago. I have never seen a rifle shoot that accurate at 200 yards.