PDA

View Full Version : savage 22-250

miker
06-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Need help or sugestions have a stevens 22-250 dont shoot anymore first 3 shots from a cold clean boor will group under 1 inch next 5 will eather go hi to the right or not hit the target at all let cool will shoot and inch or better have tried different scope redid the bedding on it made sure tang was floated tried steel triger guard tried up psi on barrell nothing helps also tried different bulltes and loads anywhere form 40 to 60 grain bullets seated at the lands .010 off lands and at factroy debth checked mounts were ok along with bases no screws puting psi on barell checked head spacing was ok cleaned it real good no copper in barell thin possibly barell is bad have about 1500 rounds thought it any sugestions >:(

lostart
06-20-2010, 06:16 PM
it seems that the sporter barrel is getting hot. Try spacing shots out by couple minutes.

miker
06-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Does me no good if wont shoot hot or even warm mainley use it for p dogs

lostart
06-20-2010, 06:50 PM
I would suggest getting a varmint or bull barrel for heavy use with pdogs. they wont heat up as fast and throw the point of impact off.

1Shot
06-20-2010, 07:44 PM
...Might have a carbon ring problem...

Smokey262
06-20-2010, 08:50 PM
How about cooling the barrel off with a wet rag or an air pump? Couple of guys had some pretty cool rigs about a year ago

Slowpoke Slim
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
If I'm following you correctly, you say it doesn't shoot "anymore", meaning this is a new problem? Did it used to shoot longer shot strings with good accuracy, or has it always done this? If this is a new problem, I would suggest a very thorough cleaning of the barrel. Either with repetitive foam cleaner treatments, or scrub it with JB's bore paste or something similar. Sounds like you either have a carbon, or a copper problem in the barrel (or both). You could have successive layers of copper over carbon in your barrel.

miker
06-21-2010, 12:15 AM
The rifle use to shoot real good up unitl last year p-dogin may have goten it to hot after that trip is when this isue started did not shoot it all last summer or fall took it out this spring that is when i noticed the isue i have cleaned it very well i first scrubed it sevral times used bore fome for 4 days straight 2 times a day would patch out burush it and refome it after blue coler stoped used brake free bore past around a bursh and poished the bore several time because i also thought was a cleaning isue and yes i use a bore guide and carbon fibor 1 pice rod after that cleaning shot ok for 15 rounds just seems if it gets any heat at all will stop shooting i think barrel is worping under heat just thought i would ask just in casie i over looked something

bobcat30
06-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Maybe the barrel is "washed". Those sporter barrels cant take rapid fire at pdogs! Buddy of mine burned a 220 swift out doing that and only had like 200 down the tube.

miker
06-21-2010, 12:58 AM
What would a washed barell look like i have it off right now cant see anyting worong dont have a bore scope

handirifle
06-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Most likely it has done the most damage right at the throat area of the chamber.

I assume you have insured there is no copper fouling in the barrel? Also make sure the crown is not damaged. Take a good look in the crown and last inch or so of the bore for copper build up, that will really fling em out there.

If all else fails a new barrel isn't going to break the bank.

bobcat30
06-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Can get s nice varmit contour barrel for less than 300 bucks all day long. If ya dont wanna mess with it lemme know ill take it off your hands ;D

sharpshooter
06-22-2010, 02:13 AM
...Might have a carbon ring problem...
I'd say it's more than just a ring of carbon....it's probably 4" long.

okie2
07-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I just bought an Addams & bennett 22-250 from midway.com $135.00 it was the 26 inch varmit barrel

McKinneyMike
07-05-2010, 04:57 PM
If you have "p-dogging" with a sporter barrel and it "might" have 1500 rounds thru it, I say that it is probably toast. Buy yourself a heavier barrel and maybe an extra rifle or two to take p-dogging. That way you don't burn out a barrel from excessive shooting to fast from over heating the barrels. Rotate rifles pretty often and saved yourself future headaches and hopefully allow those barrels to go a few hundred more rounds each :)