PDA

View Full Version : Accustock Replacement Pad ?

DonK
06-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Bought a new Savage 11 with Accustock. Hate the silly recoil pad - it is thick, way to soft and spongy, and slippery (can't lean rifle behind door on wood floor).

I called Savage and all they could tell me was the new recoil pad attaches in a different (unspecified) way and they were not aware of an aftermarket fit.

I really don't need a soft recoil pad on a 223 rifle. This standard pad loos ungainly and feels terrible. Anyone know of a nice firm, slim rubber replacement that can be had ?

Thanks

ellobo
06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Check the Midway USA or Brownells websites for replacements. Or maybe someone on this forum will have an old solid Savage buttplate they will send you.
El Lobo

DonK
06-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I checked Midway - no luck

Could not get brownells website to work

Lady at Savage told me that the Accustock pads are fitted in a different way, but I'm not sure how different. May require a unique pad to fit.

82boy
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
That recoil pad has been affectionately named the "Stay Puff Marshmallow" pad.

The only option may be to get a grind to fit pad, and fitting it to the stock, because I am not aware of any other pads.

DonK
06-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Not much affection for it here. If I had a 300 Win Mag it may be useful, but not needed on this pea shooter

Brownells may be the best place to get a grind to fit, but I've never made one of those look decent yet.

Also, that 'different' way of fitting the pads to the Accustock may involve some kind of press on fit with plastic receptors on the rear of the pad. Could be difficult to screw on a regular pad. Don't know yet.

Actually, now that I mention fit, everyone has commented that the butt pad is not well attached. A lot of potential for improvement on this one.

Why do they have to spoil a good rifle with this crap.

Remington have a similar pad for the 870 - I use the old solid pad there too.

MSG Janoski
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I've had the PAD off my 10 FLCP-K twice, no problem with it's fit or function. It has two long screws, as most all pads. After shooting untold thousands of rounds during my career I love the PAD on this Savage.

DonK
06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info MSG