PDA

View Full Version : 338 lapua help

brianlt21
12-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Ok guys I bought a savage 110 hs precision in 338 lapua just for grins basically have about 200 rounds through the rifle but don't shoot it that much kinda of a safe queen and thinking of building another rifle for my son and as a predator hunting rifle so do I sell the lapua complete or save the action and build off of that action or start from scratch thinking of a 6.5 creed more or something of that nature already have a long range setup 284 win built on a long action for long begets

olddav
12-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Just my way of thinking, but to build a 6.5 creedmore, 284 Win on a Lapua action is a waste. I would sell it out right. Can't wait to see what others think!

WinnieTheBoom
12-14-2015, 11:33 PM
The Lapua action is definitely overkill for the 6.5 Creedmoor. You could pick up any of the Model 10 short actions and do that just as easily on a small shank. It's also going to be a lot easier/cheaper to get parts that way.

Only way I would stay with the Lapua action is if you wanted to build another .338 (Lapua, Edge, etc.) or get into the WSM family of cartridges (.300 wsm, 7mm wsm, 7mm STW). The only large shank factory rifles (as the 110 Lapua is) were the .338 LM, WSM chamberings, and 375 Ruger... Unless you're building something with super high pressures, just sell it off and get yourself a standard 110 small shank or even a model 10 small shank. Again, any parts that you'll need for it, namely barrels, are going to be much more plentiful with the more common small shank actions.

If you decide to stay with the Lapua action, the HSP stock will fetch around $350, the bottom metal/trigger guard/mag will sell for $150-200, and the barrel/brake combo should go for $100+. While you'll certainly recoup some of your original investment, I'd consider that to be a pretty expensive action to build off of. Just my .02.

LongRange
12-15-2015, 09:09 AM
im not sure what the 338Ls are going for but if it was me...id try and trade it for a nice action and barrel blank...buy a nice chassis and have the barrel chambered to what ever you decide you want.